Breastfeeding in a moving car

pastrygirl

I'm involved in a thread about breastfeeding in a moving car on another forum. Several people have commented how you would NOT slam into the baby during a crash. ("couldn't full blown body slam" was how one person worded it.)

I don't know how in the world someone can think that they won't slam into their baby, especially if their seat belt is loose. Can someone explain to me what would happen, so that I can explain it better? I used the "baby as your airbag" analogy but no one is buying it. Even if you didn't go forward that much, wouldn't the baby/car seat hit you on the rebound?

This scenario is so dangerous, I can't believe that anyone actually does it. :(

ADS

Shaunam

I used to do that with DS before I knew better. It just never occured to me that I could slam into him! Once it was explained it made perfect sense. So I don't know why people can't seem to understand. Denial probably. Definitely explain that even if you are wearing your seatbelt, baby's head can slam up into you on rebound. Maybe not be as convincing for people who use rf'ing tethers, although I'm sure a tether wouldn't altogether prevent it.

Of course, if mom really does have boobs long enough to nurse baby without leaning out of position, it might not be dangerous. They'd have to be pretty freaking big. Mine are huge and I had to lean all the way over DS's seat to do it. :eek:

Jennifer mom to my 7

If in the front seat and there are airbags, baby would be dead. D E A D dead. My dh has seen it. NOt pretty. Say even if they don't smoosh the baby in the back seat, there is no way they are able to hold onto baby. Dh used to tell people to sit in their car's seat belted in holding a watermelon. THen have the driver slam the brakes and see what happens to the watermelon. Having the right to do something is one thing. Being stupid enough to risk your child's life is another. I am going to see if I can find the link to the crash tests of the mother holding the baby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYQE1Hskjc

Oh, they are talking about leaning over? I wouldn't even be able to do that. And yes, if you are out of position, you could be partially ejected from your seatbelt and smash baby. I think that there is a crash test of a kid with his seatbelt behind his back that would show this to a point. IMO, either pump a bottle before you go, or stop and pull over to feed, in a safe place like a rest area or parking lot. That is what we do. IT isn't worth the risk, even if it were slight, of injuring anyone, kwim?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Lol, as far as carseat threads on that board go, it's a pretty tame one ;) I tried it once, because DD2 was screaming and just needed nums for a sec to fall asleep. I about pulled a muscle. ;)

lotsolove

I had to kinda laugh at this one. when dd1 was an infant we had to travel for a funeral and I sat in the back for breastfeeding beside her. I was leaning over the seat some but...... yep I had the big bb's:eek: :D

lotsolove
mom to
dd1 L 4 ff radian 65
dd2 K 2 rf scenera
dd3 J 11m rf ss1

babysitter to K 3 apex 65

Melanie

Even if their theory was right that you wouldn't slam into the baby (not saying they are right at all)-mom's weight would be put onto the car seat. Couldn't that alone cause the car seat to fail? Would an infant carrier come out of the base, would the car seat bend in half? Who knows, but we do know that they aren't tested for 100+ lbs of weight in them (and that's a pretty small mama).

Mama!

I used to lean over and nurse. I have tiny boobs too, so I was practically sitting on my foot. :eek:

And the Sears Bfeeding book advocates leaning over like that in your seatbelt to nurse. Mine had a picture of it.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Personally, the possibility of my nipple being in baby's mouth in a crash scares the bejesus out of me! :p :twocents:

Last edited:

stjemmes

Yeah I've done the whole lean over thing. I have very small boobs so yes I was pretty much out of my seat belt. The times that I did it I really had no choice of getting the DH to pull the car over and the fact that the baby was screaming to the heavens was enough to cause us to wreck the van. As my DH put it "Would you please put a boob in the babies mouth" Looking back on it I know it was safe.:whistle:

Jennee

i cant say i have ever done that.
i didnt spend much time in cars when my first was a baby and it wouldnt have been possible in my van unless i stood beside him and hubby wont let me unbuckle while we are moving long enough to grab something thats just out of reach or to stick a soother in dawsons mouth when he took one.
he was in a bad accident when he was 17 and now is almost overly cautious.

mommy-medic

Seriously- where is it you have to go that badly that you can't take the ten minutes to feed the baby? Or can you not pump and bring a bottle of EBM with you? :rolleyes:

*sigh* I miss nursing.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=1646

You don't have to "slam" into a baby to kill him. The seat is only designed to hold a maximum of 35 lb rear facing. Even a small percentage of a mother's body weight leaning on the seat during the crash could cause a catastrophic failure of the seat.

I didn't realize that post was in the tech forum. Here's what I wrote:
Why isn't it safe? Well, the carseat is certified to hold up to 20-35 lb rear facing, depending on the model. If you are leaning over the seat during a crash, your body will slam into the seat as well. Assuming you don't actually crush the baby, killing him/her with your own body, you will still be putting a great deal more force on the seat than it was intended to handle. This could cause the seat to fail altogether, resulting in severe injury or even death. Best case scenario, your baby will be more injured than he/she would have been if your body hadn't interfered with the performance of the seat.

Additionally, it is not safe for YOU. It doesn't matter how dedicated you are to breastfeeding, your nursing relationship will end real fast if you are killed in a car crash! (For reference, I'm currently tandem nursing. I believe in extended nursing and child-led weaning.) In order to breastfeed a child in a car seat, you must move your own seatbelt out of the correct position. The lapbelt should ride low on your hips or across your thighs, while the shoulder belt should cross the center of your chest and lie across your shoulder. If either belt is improperly positioned, you increase the risk of internal injuries or even ejection from the vehicle & death! If you do manage to keep the belt in the correct position, but you are leaning forward or scootch your body forward, you are introducing slack which could allow you to be ejected during a crash. Even if you stay restrained by the belt, your body will move a lot more than it is supposed to, which will increase your risk of injury as well as increasing the risk that you will injure someone else.

Crash forces are extreme! Even when properly restrained, a person moves a LOT during a crash. Seatbelts are designed to stretch (which is why you must replace any seatbelts which were in use during a crash). This page* has 2 videos which illustrate my point. The first is the "5th percentile female test video." The second is the "BMW side impact test video." Both these videos give you an idea of how much movement is involved during a relatively low speed collision. The frontal/airbag test is done at 35 mph, while the side impact test is done at a mere 20 mph. Additionally, the 5th percentile dummy impacted on the steering wheel & airbag; if not for that, "she" would have moved significantly more. Both these dummies are 100% properly restrained. If there had been slack in the belt to begin with, the dummies would have moved even farther.

As another reference, government requirements for child safety seats limit head excursion, the distance the head moves forward) to a maximum of 28". An adult, who weighs much more than a child in a safety seat will also move farther. Scroll down to view a picture of how far a child moves forward during a frontal impact. You can also view test footage for a front facing child seat. Remember, a full grown adult will probably move *more* than that!

When my daughter was 5 months and my son was 2.5, we moved from Des Moines, Iowa to Ft. Leonardwood, MO. It was a 7+ hour drive to visit my parents and ILs who still lived in Des Moines. We pulled over to nurse, stretch our legs, diaper change, etc as often as necessary. Yes, it made the trip "longer," but it was healthier and safer for everyone. You are *supposed to* pull over to take a break every 1-3 hours during long drives, whether you have a small child with you or not. You are *supposed to* change a wet diaper as soon as it is wet, whether it is going to leak soon or not. If you plan on stopping "often" and budget your time accordingly, it really is not a hassle.

Like I said, it doesn't matter how dedicated you are to nursing, your breastfeeding relationship will end real fast if one or both of you is killed in a vehicle collision!

*Dead link. Can't find the video now. Will keep looking.

Last edited:

christineka

I think it's nuts, but I'm also a very small chested person. We stop at a rest stop or a parking lot or somewhere. Although, dh once drove from the gas pump to a parking spot while I nursed baby in the front seat. Probably not the best of ideas, but it was before my enlightening.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have a very large chest, and I'd still have to lean over very uncomfortably, and would not feel it was at all safe. I've done it in a PARKED car when I felt that it would upset the baby more to get her out and in and I wanted to keep her in but calm her down with a little snack. But I wouldn't do it on the road.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC