Snugride old base with new seat

mom2pjs

Senior Community Member
Hey I helped a friend today who has a new Snugride (22#, 29inches) with a base and an old Snugride (20#, 27inches) with a base. Both seats are good(not expired) and both bases are properly installed. If he had just brought the 2 bases I wouldn't have even thought about it... but can the new seat be used in the old base? It fits and locks in... All Graco's website has to say is Snugride must be used with Snugride Base and Safeseat must be used with safeseat base, so it would seem to be ok. I'll send Graco an email also, but I have to get the specific model #'s first.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Is it the Snugride base with the red dial on the front (the really old bases)? If it is, I don't think she can use that base with a new seat.

I THINK, however, that it is okay to use an old base (with the adjustable foot, not the dial foot) with a new seat, as long as she follows the LOWER weight/height limits. Does that make sense?

mom2pjs

Senior Community Member
Not it's not a "really old" one, I can't tell the bases apart except by date of manufacture. And I'll get the specifics and call Graco, but really my worry is that I install these seats all the time and like I said if he hadn't brought both seats in today and had only brought one seat and 2 bases I wouldn't have known. I'm just wondering if I need to "call Graco" every time I get 2 Snugride bases with different dates on them... He's fine, no baby yet and they can just use each seat individually until I get the info, but it's the bigger picture that is bothering me.

skaterbabs

Call Graco with the model #s and DOMs, they may NOT be compatible and I would not be comfortable with using them together if they aren't without Graco giving the all-clear.

nisi

Senior Community Member
The Graco rep on the CPSPList has said that you may use the old base with the new carrier and vice versa, but you must follow the lower weight limit. Here's her email from 5/27/05

We are telling consumers that the either base can be used, but if you
mix the old and new or new and old, go with the lower weight.

The base is same for Snug 1 and Snug 2 (we'll call SnugRide until this
March 2005 as "Snug 1" for clarity). Snug 2 started production in March
2005 in Macedonia and Feb 2005 in Wonderland.

The product labels changed to higher rating (22 lbs, 29 inches) with
Snug 2. In the event that certain consumers have a mix of Snug 1 and
Snug 2 carrier/base, they should obey the smaller of two weight ratings.

Carol Helminski
Graco Children's Products Inc. (div. of Newell Rubbermaid)

KristiD761

Senior Community Member
I know in the past this has come up when newer snugrides came out:) , and when I called the manufacturer, I was told not to use the old base with a new carrier, but I could use a new base with an old carrier.....

Even though they click into each other no problem either way...

I had to repeat this three times out loud to get it straight....:)

cso1997

I can't answer your question but I just wanted to say that if manufacturers don't want old and new to be mixed, I feel they have a responsibilty to make it impossible to mix. For example, the old Keyfit's will only work with their old base. The new seats are being designed to be incompatible with the old bases. Also the old seats will not fit in the new bases. To me, Chicco is doing everyone a favor!!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I can't answer your question but I just wanted to say that if manufacturers don't want old and new to be mixed, I feel they have a responsibilty to make it impossible to mix. For example, the old Keyfit's will only work with their old base. The new seats are being designed to be incompatible with the old bases. Also the old seats will not fit in the new bases. To me, Chicco is doing everyone a favor!!

They are doing everyone a favor... in a way.

Will they still sell the older bases? If they have plans to sell the older bases for the next five years or so, I think they are doing everyone a favor. BUT, if they plan on stopping the sales of the older bases, I have a big problem with that.

If I only owned one car when my older child was born, but needed two bases by the time my younger child was born, I would like to still be able to GET the older bases. Does that make sense?

cso1997

That makes complete sense. I wish I knew the answer to that. I am in the same boat. We have one base now but I foresee needing two or more later on. I don't know if I should snap them up or if they will be available later. Knowing my luck they will be discontinued.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's what Graco told me too. You can use a new seat w/ an old base, but only till 20# or 26". Yeah, I was wondering why 26" was important too if talking about the base. lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC