do you feel safe w/o side air bags?

mistylavon

We've been looking at vans and we seriously considering a 2003 Mazda MPV LX w/ 62,000 mi. for $6500 in wonderful condition. It does not have side airbags. Do many of you have cars/vans, etc. that are a few years older like this that also do not have side airbags? If so, do you feel safe driving them? We're trying to stay under $6500-$7000 and we only have 2 kids ages 4 and 6 and have absolutely no plans of expanding our family. We have to stay in this price b/c my car has been totaled and we're still gonna have a $550 car payment to make on my Toyota until the loan is paid off :eek:

ADS

scatterbunny

I would LOVE side airbags, but they are out of our price range. If the vehicle has decent crash scores overall, I try not to stress about side airbags. Just my (poor folk) opinion. :cool:

daniele_ut

I drive 2005 Chevy Malibu that has side curtain airbags. It was one of my deal-breakers while car shopping last year. I didn't want to buy a car that didn't have side airbags or traction control. I paid $8500 for mine 18 months ago, but our motor pool at work (where I bought mine)is selling some now in the $6000-$7000 range. I know you said you are looking for a van, but we have 2 kids and find that it has plenty of room for all of our stuff.

I know that our motor pool has had Dodge Caravans with side airbags selling in your price range in the past.

Pixels

It wouldn't make or break the deal for me. If I could get them, I would. It's one of the things on the list of considerations. I did pay extra when I got my car to get side impact airbags, as I was buying the car new, and it was an option.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
We have to stay in this price b/c my car has been totaled and we're still gonna have a $550 car payment to make on my Toyota until the loan is paid off :eek:

WHY?

When my van was totaled a few years ago (H hit a cow), they paid off the entire loan!

mistylavon

Wow! They really paid off your entire loan? I was told I will be given Fair Market Value which is about $25,000 but I won't know for a few days. If it's only $25,000 we'll still have a little over $3,000 left to pay. Maybe you had GAP insurance, we didn't get that but we'll never make that mistake again. If you didn't have GAP, how did you get them to pay for it all? Also, it's the other person's insurance paying.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I think we did have Gap insurance, but even still, I think I'd hesitate and think really hard before signing an insurance check. I'd see what YOUR insurance agent has to say, and speak to as many people as you can to find out what you are really entitled to. You weren't at fault, right? you really shouldn't have to pay a cent, and if anything, you should walk away with a little extra for your time and trouble.

Melanie

The insurance company is only responsible for paying the value of the vehicle. If a vehicle had no loan or an upside down loan (you owe more than the car is worth) they still pay the same. It would be GAP insurance that would pay the balance.

You may be able to get the value of your vehicle brought up though. Take a look at KBB.com, Edmonds.com, Autotrader.com and your local paper. You'll have more leverage if you can printout vehicles that are equivalent to yours (condition, miles, options) that are selling for higher than they are offering you. Make sure the insurance company knows about anything that would make your car more valuable. Options, new tires, window tinting, basically anything extra you can come up with.

If you haven't already, check with your lender. A few have GAP included in their loans. Then you wouldn't be responsible for anything at all.

For your original question...I don't have a yes or no answer. I'd really like to have cars with side airbags. Our current ones don't (03 & 04). For me, it's not enough of a need to justify me going back to work full time and putting my kids in daycare just to afford the payments on two new cars. In reality, it's the adults in the car that would be at the most risk. The kids in car seats are going to be safer than an adult in the front seat.

Nisha

No deal breaker for me - I drive a 2000 ford windstar van and they get great safety raitings without all the extra airbags.
As a matter of fact, NONE of the vehicles we drive have side air bags, and we won't be vehicle shopping anytime soon.

Heather98012

My dh's 01 Sequoia doesn't have them & I don't stress about it. But when I bought my new ride in late '04, side curtain airbags were a deal breaker for me. And if I were to buy a new vehicle now, I wouldn't buy one without them. There are just too options out there with them in various price points, IMO.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I agree..if I already HAD a vehicle without them, I wouldn't sweat, but when we got a new (used) vehicle last year, it was a dealbreaker.

jujumum

We love our MPVs and didn't even know that one had side airbags and one didn't till this week.:eek: It would only make a difference with me if I was purchasing a new car or if the choice was between 2 cars of the same exact make/model/year (one with and without).

I'd rather drive a 2003 MPV than a 2004 Sedona, but would pick a 2006 Sedona over a 2006 MPV. The redesigned 2006+ Sedona/Entourages have great safety features and ratings.:)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
We were in a side-impact crash in my '97 Astro, no side airbags. It was just a moderate crash, but I did slam my head into the side window. Um... ow. No head injuries to speak of, just a headache for a few days. I may have had a mild concussion; not sure because I didn't go to the ER. (FTR - we were hit by a Volvo, off-set impact, and she was doing 35-40mph when she hit us. It slammed the van completely out of our lane, completely across the lane next to us, and up over the curb onto the median.)

Even so - both vehicles we've bought since that crash have side curtain airbags. Just my personal pet option - I want the airbags more than the color, the cupholders, etc. ;)

MomE

We have to be as safe as we can be with what we can afford. That's just the truth of it.

However, that said, side airbags would be an absolute deal breaker for ME. In October 2008 I was t-boned by a car and my side airbags failed. I was knocked unconcious and taken to the trauma unit for two days. There was an angel there that day (a passerby) who woke me up shortly after I passed out. Had I not woken up, I don't know what would have happened to me.

But I do know that my 9 month old infant (who was in the car) would have been taken into protective custody, ripped away from her mother after suffering such a traumatic event (all the lights, and sirens, and strange people cutting her MomE out of the car, and taking MomE away, and her all alone). I can not bare to think about that. It darn near brings on a panic attack in me. Because the man stopped to help, he got me to come around, I was able to tell him to call my husband (who got there just as they were cutting me out). So none of this happened.

Had my side airbags not failed, I would not have passed out and would not still be suffering brain damage (which I don't think I'll ever get over).

Now, all of thatsaid, I still freak out that I ended up with a car that has crash test ratings stating that the dummy struck the stearing wheel through the airbag. I can't afford to hit my head again, but this is what I was given to borrow until I can get my own car. I hope I didn't scare you, but side airbags can really make a difference and aren't side impact crashes the most deadly (I could be remember wrong here - brain damage)?

Bottom line, you've got to decide where to compromise. If you can comprise on other features, do so before safety.

MomE

I'd also like to add to/clarify my last post. My side airbags didn't actually fail, but I had sheepskin carseat covers (a gift nearly 10 years ago) that covered the airbag. When the covers were purchased, I told the purchaser that I had side airbags in my car so the cover MUST NOT interfere with that. The shop told her, no problem they just do a modification. It took two extra weeks for this. So, and I should have been more skeptical (but I was young), I assumed they were safe. Now I will NEVER put seat covers (even if they say they are safe) on any car I Own with seat mounted side airbags.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It's a deal breaker when selecting a new or new to us car. I wouldn't choose one without side curtain airbags, and also preferably side torso airbags for the front seats. Mind you I'm super leery of side impacts due to DH's and my history of several crashes involving side impacts. :eek:

mimieliza

Nope, wouldn't bother me if it was what worked with my budget and was otherwise a safe vehicle. I've never had a car that had them. If I had the money to choose a car with them, I would, but we bought the safest and most reliable vehicles we could afford, which happened not to have them (we have a 2002 Subaru Forester and a 1999 Honda Odyssey).

mistylavon

I appreciate all the answers for my question. So, from what I've read, besides the side airbags, the Mazda MPV is a pretty safe vehicle. Am I right?

Thanks again!

southpawboston

In October 2008 I was t-boned by a car and my side airbags failed. I was knocked unconcious and taken to the trauma unit for two days. There was an angel there that day (a passerby) who woke me up shortly after I passed out. Had I not woken up, I don't know what would have happened to me.

what make, model and year was your car? did you contact NHTSA about it?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
what make, model and year was your car? did you contact NHTSA about it?

She clarified her post stating that she had aftermarket seat covers that interfered with the side impact airbags functioning properly. It was not a vehicle defect, but an aftermarket cover that was the culprit. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC