Nautilus and Frontier measurements

twins plus one

I need help comparing the size of the Nautilus to the Frontier. I was at my nearest BRU today (150 miles away) hoping to compare the two, but they have pulled the Frontier due to the recall. I looked up the specs on both seats at Elite Carseats, but I'm not sure if their numbers are correct, as there are discrepencies with the Britax site as well as with things I've read here. Here's what I need:

How wide is each seat? I have to fit 3 seats across one row (two of the Nautilus/Frontier and one Roundabout).

How high are the top harness slots in each seat? I've read on here that the Nautilus has higher slots, but Elite Carseats says the opposite.

The crotch strap depth on the Nautilus seemed very small to me, and I've read complaints about this. Does Graco allow children to sit on top of the crotch strap, or does it have to be used in booster mode at this point? I hate to buy a seat for the high harness capabilities only to be forced to switch to booster mode because of a crotch strap.

Thanks!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
what vehicle are you hoping to get 3 across in? I can't honestly see getting 2 nautis or frontiers in a 3 across except maybe in a really wide seat?? I know that in my car, despite there being 3 seating positions, 2 nautis installed in each outboard position would very nearly touch each other inthe middle, they are pretty wide.....
Yes, the crotch depth is short on teh nauti...technically, graco does say not to use it if the crotch buckle is underneath the child, but it does sort of become a parental decision about whether to use it or not....I'm personally fine with my dd being basically on top of it, btu that's me.....almost everyone agrees the nauti does have higher top slots, by like 1/4 inch or so...essentially they are very close, probably not going to be a meaningful difference unless you are talking about a gigantic 3 year old or something where every additional day of harnessing is going to matter....the frontier does go definitely higher as a booster though...I'm sorry, I do not have exact measurements of either seat width, hopefully someone can chime in....

Jennifer mom to my 7

Yea, that would be my 3 year old (40 inches, 38 pounds, 16.5 inch torso).

The nautilus is 19.5 inches wide at the widest point, which is where the cupholder is. It is narrower at the back of the base. The crotch buckle is 7 inches out from the back of the seat (even my then 1 year old needed the further out setting). I get exactly 18 inches for the top harness measurement. I know a couple of month after my then 5 year old maxed out the nautilus, she fit in the frontier, just, but that wasn't installed. Hope this helps a bit.

twins plus one

Thanks for the input. I drive a 1999 Isuzu Trooper and currently have 3 Roundabouts. My nearly 4 year old twins are outgrowing their seats (roughly 39" and 31 pounds). I want to continue to harness them but like the seats that convert to boosters later on. While at BRU we were able to try the Nautilus in our vehicle in the outboard position with the center Roundabout still installed. It appeared to fit as long as it was used in the harnessed mode (buckling in the booster mode would be possible but difficult). The carseats were touching, and the door handle did touch the Nautilus, but the door closed without moving the seat. Is that okay?

How does the width of the Frontier compare to the Nautilus? (We weren't able to see it at the store.) If neither of these seats work, what are my options if I want to continue to harness them? The Radian? My youngest child is nearly 2 years old and will probably outgrow her Roundabout in roughly 1 1/2 years, so I guess I should keep that in mind. We would really like to hold off on buying a new car for a few years.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC