Clek Oobr!

Kat_Momof3

only 16" wide!! omg... omg ... omg

what is the rule for latch bar spacing?

(reason is dh has a 2-door cobalt and I desperately want to keep my shortest kid in the middle as long as I can... where there is no built-in headrest)

If the oobr can latch into the center spot (I can measure if you need me to) of dh's 2-door cobalt, I will DEFINITELY be buying one for his car. (and I just saw that there will be a black cover... dh will LOVE LOVE LOVE clek if I can get him a black shell with black cover so that it totally matches his interior (though he'd settle with black and red, since the exterior is red))

ADS

scatterbunny

The only thing that still concerns me is the 6 inch gap between the top of the seatback and the head restraint.

That's a small concern of mine, as well. I can't wait to be able to try my tall 7yo in it (18.5-19 inch torso).

Also, the seat bottom slopes at the knee; it doesn't look just like the Olli, which supported my dd's legs very well. I worry about the sloping, but hey, it can't be worse than the Parkway, and dd now proclaims that comfy (when she used to complain bitterly about the sloping/short seat bottom), so I'm not counting the Oobr out based on this, just slightly concerned, and withholding judgment until I can have my dd test-sit it.

Also, having such a tall child (and a vehicle with no rear headrests), I'll say that I do wish it adjusted even one inch taller.

The Turbo, Monterey, Parkway and Vivo all have headrests that adjust up from the back and kids don't complain about them. They essentially have no support in that area either.

That was my second thought, after initially being concerned about the big gap/rods. But there is one small difference-those others have a flat piece of plastic covered in thin fabric for the child's back to rest on. It's usually pretty level with the lower back portion of the seat.

IMO, it's like a car's headrest - they're often mounted on 2 rods with a gap in between.

That's what I'm telling myself, that it shouldn't really be a problem because it's just like vehicle headrests, and the design is similar to other boosters on the market.

However, with a vehicle headrest, the headrest part is so thick that there's a lot more space between the back of our head/neck and the metal rods. Also, a vehicle headrest doesn't adjust so tall that the metal rods are as long as the Oobr's metal rods.

With those two things combined (less space-horizontally-between the head/body and the metal rods, and, on the highest settings, longer rods-vertically), it's a little different than vehicle headrests, so I just wonder if any part of the child's body will come in contact with those rods. I don't think we'll be able to figure that out until we can get a tall kiddo in the seat. :p

what is the rule for latch bar spacing?

I'm assuming it needs to be used in spots with standard spacing, just like other rigid LATCH seats, because it's rigid LATCH. It won't flex to reach non-standard spaced anchors.

crunchierthanthou

I'm assuming it needs to be used in spots with standard spacing, just like other rigid LATCH seats, because it's rigid LATCH. It won't flex to reach non-standard spaced anchors.

yeah, the rigid LATCH will almost certainly require standard spacing, which is 11". Lucky for you, the Cobalt has a dedicated set of lower anchors for the center position. and unlike other GM models of similar size (and even some a bit larger) they don't overlap at all and all three sets can be used at the same time. :)

Heather98012

That Julius cover is about the cutest damn thing I have ever seen. I have always :love: Julius the monkey!

Hhhmmm....any idea on how to clean the cover?! ;)

horsesitaly

Senior Community Member
I know... What in the hell were those crazy piano manufacturers thinking when they put black keys next to white keys! The fashion world has never been the same... :whistle:

/wanders off humming the Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney song, "Ebony and Ivory."

And what with all those clashing zebras wandering around in Africa. And those black and white cows. LOL Oh wait, my CAR is black and white! I think the white shell would look totally cool. My car is white on the outside and black interior. The skurvy skull seats would look so cool, I'm just not that into skulls!

I'm waiting for the price on these before I get too excited, knowing how much the backless boosters are it seems the Oobr won't be in my (dh's) price range.

ETA what I really need for my 9 yo is a booger colored shell/cover, nuff said.

Kat_Momof3

yeah, the rigid LATCH will almost certainly require standard spacing, which is 11". Lucky for you, the Cobalt has a dedicated set of lower anchors for the center position. and unlike other GM models of similar size (and even some a bit larger) they don't overlap at all and all three sets can be used at the same time. :)

yes, it does... which I LOVE, but also hate the center seat because (at least in the 2 door), it is narrow and set higher than the other two seats, so it's like a flat hump... you can put a seat on it, but getting it to fit without taking up too much of the seats on either side is tough.

16-17" is the MAX I can put there... henceforth why I am totally hating that the Radian doesn't install well with latch OR the seatbelt in the middle. It fits on the side seats, though.

I'm going to be brave here shortly and try again to put it in the middle.

the oobr goes taller than the FPSVB, even though it's only an inch, and having latch, won't tip as the FPSVB tends to do in highback mode as it gets toward the top setting. Yes, this is fixed by careful positioning, but a child climbing into it and then the child buckling himself/herself makes it want to slide a little on the slippery seat fabric.

So having the oobr fit the latch connectors would be ideal.

I'm going to measure the anchors, too...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I really really like the look of the Oobr. And by the time dd is ready for a dedicated booster I'm sure we'll have lots of cover selection. ;)

Real kids will tell the tale, but I'm not too worried about comfort issues due to the rods. Clek has a history of helping design car interiors, so I suspect has a pretty good grasp on ergonomics. I'm sure this seat has been as well researched and planned as the others, and kids will find them comfy. :thumbsup:

I'm going to measure the anchors, too...

Given that it's a dedicated LATCH position with it's own set of anchors, that means it has to meet the standard of 11". So you can measure if you want, but it and all LATCH anchors in a seating spot with it's own dedicated anchors, will have an 11" spacing. :thumbsup:

hsjwmom

WooHoo! Dh said he would be fine with it as long as it didn't cost more than the Monterrey...Now here's hoping for a good price! Thank goodness I have plenty of time before I need another booster.

Mama!

Oh my gosh. I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED that Monkey booster. RIGHT NOW.

I want 2. :eek:They shall be our forever most wonderful favorite booster.

MONKEYS!! *runs in delight*

Kat_Momof3

I haven't gotten to install it anyway... DH took his cobalt and decided to go out of town for work. UGH.

So I have the Radian in my closet, anyway.

I was going to measure because the Radian doesn't seem to fit right with latch... and it does fine with latch in my van and in the other seating positions (though not as well as in my van).

But I'll probably leave it... just hope the Oobr will not have the problem going in with latch that the Radian has.

clek

Thanks for all of the awesome feedback.:D Feedback from our stores has been equally enthusiastic. I keep directing our stores to check out this site and read your feedback. And most of our retailers are familiar with this site and some even post here.

Now (drumroll please) for the pricing.
oobr will be $239.99 for the standard colors.
Paul Frank oobr's are $254.99
There are also 2 new Paul Frank olli patterns that will retail for $99.99.
It's a crazy week here and I'm trying to check out the site, but I don't have tons of time to post. Post any questions and I'll reply next week.
Thanks

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

:jaw:

I guess I was expecting less than that.

I also guess my arm could be twisted.

Please show us the Paul Frank olli covers when you can.

bubbaray

Now (drumroll please) for the pricing.
There are also 2 new Paul Frank olli patterns that will retail for $99.99.
It's a crazy week here and I'm trying to check out the site, but I don't have tons of time to post. Post any questions and I'll reply next week.
Thanks

:jaw:

That's a little rich for me for a non-harnessed booster.... What will they retail for in Canada? $500??

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I want to be a tester. PPPPPLLLEEEEAAAASEEEEE!!!

I have a 2 year, 33 pounder; 3 year 36 pounder; 6 year, 45 pounder; 7 year, 60 pounder; 8 year, 42 pounder; 9 year, 50 pounder; and more that might fit, a 10, and 12 year old that might fit.

I would gladly take tons of pics & write reviews with the help of Defrost - we can happily share a tester oobr.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I have a question for Michael.

Hearing that the Oobr fabric repels water, I am curious to know what the fabric is made of. My little girl is allergic to latex, and many fabrics that are water resistant contain natural rubber latex.

Edited to add: What about in the rubber on the top of the armrests?

Heather98012

Hhhmmm.....while I could easily drop that for a booster, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that purchase price for a dedicated booster. But....with all the perks (lightweight, narrow, water repellant seat cover), I would likely buy it.

Did we ever hear the expiration date? Or did I just miss that?

gwenvet

OK, I think I need to be a tester...not because I love it but because if I can be swayed to like it, it would be impressive. I'm not thrilled with the looks, can't imagine a kid that would want a brown booster, and wow is that pricey! I've been spoiled by Britax...can the Oober win me over?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC