Marathon or Evenflow triumph advance?

kcchica

We just went out and bought the Britax Marathon tonight, mostly because I had already talked myself into buying it due to previous research. However, when I went to search again tonight, I see some people prefer the new Evenflow Triumph advance.

My little guy is 5 months and 20 lbs. I see the Evenflow has a lower weight limit compared with the Marathon, however, I have seen people say that you don't usually reach the weight limit on the Marathon before the child's height becomes an issue.

I am anxious to have my DH install the new seat, but now I am worried we made the wrong choice. I want my little guy comfy (he is so miserable all scrunched up in his snug ride).

We have a 2006 Mazda3 if that makes a difference?

kc

ADS

firemomof3

I was in the same situation, except with my 2y/o. I wanted her to go back to RF so I tried both the Marathon & EFTA. I noticed that the EFTA had more padding for an infant vs. the Marathon. But I couldn't get a tight install in my 03 Kia Sedona minivan with the EFTA so I went with the Marathon. Both are excellent seats, as long as they fit your child and your car. For a tiny 5mo. old I would think the EFTA would be more supportive & comfortable but see what some other moms have to say. :thumbsup:

natysr

As much as I like the EFTA, I would NEVER give up my Marathon! I've said in the past that I would like to own an EFTA as a second seat. Yet, I just purchased a second MA during the sale this week. I couldn't resist. :eek:

You are right that most kids never see 65 pounds in a Marathon. But..some kids would outgrow the EFTA by weight at 50 pounds before outgrowing the seat by height. The possibility is there. Since your 5 month old is already 20 pounds, she is more likely to be in that category than a 15 pound 5 month old. It is impossible to predict exactly if she would outgrow the EFTA by weight, but I think that you did make a good choice with the Marathon.

Also, I would not wait for your DH to install the seat. With the exception of those that have a physical disability which would prevent them from being able to properly install a carseat, I strongly believe that every adult in the household should read the manual cover to cover and practice installing the seat. You never know if you will be broken down on the side of the freeway and have to call a friend etc to come get you. Can you imagine trying to install a seat for the first time in that sort of situation?

sfeitler

ITA with Natalie. At 5 months and 20 pounds, your baby is on the higher end of the weight spectrum. The Marathon is a great seat, and you might end up needing that extra weight.

If I was doing it again, I'd look at the EFTA. But my kids are long and skinny... there's no way they'd hit 50 pounds before they outgrew either seat.

-Sarah

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have both. I actually like the EFTA better for my DD1, but DD2 doesn't like it because the red tabs dig into her neck. The EFTA has a lot of padding and higher top slots, not to mention the higher RF weight limit. But, the MA tethers RF, which the EFTA does not. It's a toss up :p

skaterbabs

My little guy is 5 months and 20 lbs. I see the Evenflow has a lower weight limit compared with the Marathon, however, I have seen people say that you don't usually reach the weight limit on the Marathon before the child's height becomes an issue.

The extra RF weight limit of the Triumph Advance (EFTA) will be more important for you IMO than the higher FF limit of the Marathon (MA). It could mean months longer rear facing, and it's a rare child who reaches more than 50 lbs in the Marathon before outgrowing it by height FF.

The EFTA has a 50 lb limit and I can see most children reaching that weight at about the same time they outgrow the seat by height. The top harness position is slightly taller than the MA and the EFTA is actually more roomy for wider kids than the MA.

natysr

The extra RF weight limit of the Triumph Advance (EFTA) will be more important for you IMO than the higher FF limit of the Marathon (MA). It could mean months longer rear facing, and it's a rare child who reaches more than 50 lbs in the Marathon before outgrowing it by height FF.

Good point! Unless she was lucky enough to get a 35lb seat. ;)

skaterbabs

Agreed, but even then the wider stance of the EFTA may be more comfortable than the MA, and the EFTA is undoubtedly taller, and that makes a difference even for my 75th percentile moose. ;)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The only thing I haven't seen addressed is the knobs on the side of the EFTA. They tend to dig into the back of sculpted vehicle seats which makes it impossible to tighten/loosen the harness.

We have a Speed3 which I know has much more sculpted back seats than the Mazda3, but it's something to be aware of.

The Marathon fits really nicely back there at a more upright angle. We had ours at about a 35 degree angle for our 2 year old...
429825159_572f08ed10.jpg

kcchica

Hi. Thanks for the different advice. We decided to stick with our original purchase. And have it latched in. We aren't using the RF tether yet.. not sure if that is required and if so where we will put it. I will do some more searching on this.. our mazda books shows the tether when installed forward facing, that location, doesn't work backward facing, but will try to figure it out.

We plan on #2 in a year or 2.. so maybe when we need a 2nd convertible, we will go to something else to transition Quinn to if necessary and move #2 into the marathon....

natysr

Hi. Thanks for the different advice. We decided to stick with our original purchase. And have it latched in. We aren't using the RF tether yet.. not sure if that is required and if so where we will put it. I will do some more searching on this.. our mazda books shows the tether when installed forward facing, that location, doesn't work backward facing, but will try to figure it out.

We plan on #2 in a year or 2.. so maybe when we need a 2nd convertible, we will go to something else to transition Quinn to if necessary and move #2 into the marathon....

Your Marathon should have come with a d-ring which can be wrapped around a non-moving part (normally the front seat seat track or seatbelt stalk. There is a description in the carseat manuel on how to use it. It is also available online from the britax website.

Here are pictures of what the RF tether looks like in my car.

210971564_MopBT-M-1.jpg

165786884_Z3RE8-M.jpg

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Here's where we tether RFing in our Speed3... you should have the exact same location in your Mazda3. :)
429820349_26ba2f90b5.jpg

The d-ring slides in between the plastic and the metal seat track leg to wrap around the seat track leg.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC