Graco ComfortSport vs. Cosco Scenera

brookejl

I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on these two carseats. The scenera has great reviews but I don't like the minimal padding. I just bought a comfort sport but I can't decide if I want to keep it or not. I have a Ford Taurus and the car seat technician is coming to check my installation next week. I figured I'd wait to make my final decision until then but I'd appreciate your opinions!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I really do prefer the Scenera over the ComfortSport.

For a much cheaper price, you get a higher RF weight limit, higher top harness slots, and an easier to adjust (RF) harness. All of this comes in the $40-$50 package of a Cosco Scenera.

The Scenera has little padding, but that doesn't seem to bother most kids. My DN easily switched between the Scenera and all her Britax seats (Roundabout, Marathon, and Boulevard). No complaints. :)

PixieEMT

I just sold my last ComfortSport! I had two and thank goodness I sold both of them.

The ComfortSport has LOW harness heights and low RF limits. The straps never tightened evenly. :thumbsdown:

I have a Marathon in my mini van and a Scenera in my DH car. I replaced the Comfort Sport in my DH car last week with the new Scenera.

I would never recommend the ComfortSport to anyone. I was not impressed!:thumbsdown:

Sara

NVMBR02

I have never used a Scenera but I was not happy with how quickly my comfortsport was outgrown.

For around $100 ( sometimes as low as $40 on sale at some Walmarts) You could get the Safety First Uptown that has a 35 pound rear facing weight, tall harness slots and a lot of padding (and EPS foam) :thumbsup: I don't know what you paid for your comfortsport or what your budget is, but thought I would throw that out there.

scatterbunny

I agree with the others. :( The ComfortSport comes in a variety of cover choices and padding levels, and it seems nicer than the Scenera, on the surface. But it's outgrown very early, both rear-facing and forward-facing. My own daughter would have been out of the ComfortSport between 18 months and 2 years old, by height (torso height is what matters most, a seat is outgrown forward-facing by height when shoulders go over top slots or when tips of ears go over top of seat shell). She was 28-30 pounds at that time. :rolleyes: It's also harder to adjust the harness when rear-facing, and only has a 30 pound rear-facing weight limit.

The Scenera has a 35 pound rear-facing weight limit (so it will last longer rear-facing), taller top slots (so it will last longer forward-facing), and is easier to adjust when rear-facing.

How old, tall and heavy is the child? What vehicle? What's your budget?

ProudMomof5

I like our scenera, but I have never had a comfortsport, so I guess I really can't comment. :)
As far as comfort, my kids have never complained, even on long trip and minimal bathroom/stretch breaks.

MommyBoha

I have 2 of the Comfortsports and i dont like either of them(only one is in use PT) My DS outgrew it at age 3 and 33lbs. My DD outgrew it RF at 18 months and is thisclose to outgrowing it FF at 26 months and 24 lbs(by height obviously) I dont have a Scenera, but I tried my DD in one and she had plently of room.

kangato2roos

I've had both. The Scenera is currently our back-up seat in my dad's vehicle. The ComfortSport is GONE, thank goodness.

My tiny little not-even-on-the-charts son outgrew it rear facing at around 18 months. He outgrew it forward facing a few months prior to that, but I can't remember when since he never actually got a chance to use it forward facing. He was barely 20 pounds when he got too tall for it. Admittedly he does have a long torso, but it's rare a child will make it to 3 or 4 in this seat, and that's far far too young for a booster. It has really low top slots and they cannot be used rear facing. The top slots are for forward facing only. It was nearly impossible to reach the harness adjuster when rear facing. It ended up crammed against the back of the seat and I had to really struggle to get my fingers down in there to adjust it. It was a pain to install in my vehicle, but I have installed it in other cars and it was much easier there. Overall though, I just really didn't like this seat. The padding wasn't worth it.

The Scenera, however, has been great. My son has never complained about the lack of padding, even on 2 hour car trips. He just didn't seem to mind. He still fits in it rear facing, at 2 and 1/2. It has a fantastic 35 pound rear facing limit which I love. It's fairly easy to adjust the harness... at least I don't have near the problems I had with the ComfortSport.

In the end, you get far far more for your money with the Scenera than you would with the ComfortSport.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Here's Ilana in a Scenera. You can see how much longer she'd have in this seat vs the CS. Evan is too tall to use the CS at all (even ffing) and he still can easily rf in this seat.
dec07003.jpg

Here's Ilana in a Comfortsport (yes, she was mad, lol).
febr2008009.jpg

scatterbunny

WOW, that's a huge difference! :eek: Maybe H would have been out of a CS even before 18-24 months; she's been 95th+ percentile for height forever, and was pretty long-torsoed back then (outgrew her Alpha Omega by height at 2.5).

skaterbabs

The scenera can be as much as HALF the cost of the Comfort Sport, and last twice as long. It's also easier to use rear facing.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
I haven't owned either, but the Scenera will last you much longer as the ComfortSport is outgrown by height very quickly.

PixieEMT

I feel guilty selling my ComfortSports. :eek:

The only place for the ComfortSport is in a carseat graveyard!

Unfortunately, the area where I live is economically depressed and people don't have the money to spend on quality seats. Most people are still using OHS from the early 90s or the old Century T shields! :eek: They think in Coo coo for Coco puffs b/c I spend $200 dollars on Britax. :cool:

brookejl

WOW! Thanks everyone! I guess by the looks of this I should trade in my comfort sport for a scenera!

I've liked my comfortsport so far, but my daughter just turned one and is only 18 lbs. She's still rear facing of course but her shoulders are already above the 2nd to last harness slot.

I really don't have the money for a Britax, but I've been researching the Fisher Price Voyage. The only thing I don't like about this seat is that if I spend that much money on a seat I want to be able to use it for my next child, and if this seat is discontinued I'd probably get a seat with an old DOM.

UGH! I just don't know what to do. I wish I had the money for a Britax.

Brooke

kangato2roos

You could trade in your ComfortSport for a Scenera now. Save the difference and start putting a little bit aside at a time (even if it's just $5 a paycheck, it will be worth it). She should fit in the Scenera just fine for quite some time. Once you have enough, and that should be before she outgrows the Scenera, you can buy a higher weight harnessed seat. There are plenty on the market that are good, even if it's not a Britax.

skaterbabs

The previous poster is correct. A Scenera would last you a very long time rear facing (my daughter made it to 2 years 6 months rear facing and she's a big girl.) Then if you want to save up for a higher-weight harness seat once it's outgrown forward facing (for us that was 6 months or so after it was outgrown RF) that gives you time to do that.

scatterbunny

If you really don't want the Scenera, you could consider the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It's a really great seat! It harnesses to 50 pounds, with slightly taller top slots than the Marathon/Fisher Price Safe Voyage. My daughter outgrew the Marathon by height when she was 46 inches and 46 pounds, but she might have made it to 50 pounds in the Triumph Advance. It's a wider, deeper seat as well. No lockoffs and no rear-facing tether like the Marathon, but those are features I can live without. The ComfortSport and Scenera don't have those things, either. :)

Amber

I actually got a scenera and traded it on a comfortsport. Biggest mistake I could make. I HATE the comfortsport. It never tightens evenly and seems very uncomfortable for my daughter. I am on my way to getting either a Graco Nautilus or an Evenflo Triumph here quickly.

brookejl

I bought a Britax!!!

Well folks...I splurged and purchased a Britax roundabout on sale. I know this doesn't have the higher weight limit, but I already have a cosco alpha omega that goes to 80 lbs. I needed to give my friend who is also my sitter a car seat and decided to just get a new one for my car. I know that most recommend the Marathon for the higher weight limit but I honestly don't think it would fit in my car rear-facing. ('98 ford taurus.)

My 1-yr-old is small for her age and I'm pretty positive she'll fit in the roundabout as long as she needs to. My son was a fat baby and was in his 40 lb car seat until after he turned four. He now rides in a graco turbo booster which I really like.

Thanks for all your advice! It helped me to decide to get rid of the comfort sport, even though I didn't end up going with the scenera. Any more comments on the roundabout would be welcomed!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC