Crashed seat - what would you buy for 37lb almost 6 y.o.?

threeundertwo

Our friends got in a crash with our Britax MA70 they've been borrowing so now we're unexpectedly in the position of being able to buy a new seat. We drive a 2011 Odyssey and have three kids. DS2 is 4.5yo and rides in a Pioneer. DS1 is almost 6 and 41lbs. He just moved to a Graco Affix. His twin sister is only 37lbs and using the second to last slots in a Maestro. I'm thinking I'll get her a new seat and give the Maestro to our friends. Would you just move to a hbb for her or get her a harnessed seat like the Pioneer? How different is 37lbs from 40? She is mature enough to sit properly in a booster but her weight has been my concern. And if you vote booster, which one? Thanks in advance for your advice.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If she sits properly even when asleep I'd get a high backed booster with a 30 lb minimum. Which one would depend on budget and also where in the vehicle it is going.

threeundertwo

Thank you! She usually rides outboard in the back row but when we do long trips I like to put her in the 2nd row middle seat (8th seat) so ideally the booster would work there too. So a 30lb minimum weight booster that works in the 8th seat of an Odyssey? Any suggestions? Budget would be equivalent to a Britax MA70 which is $226 on Amazon. I'd prefer a latchable booster. Guessing this might be a mythical creature and not a booster that actually exists. . .

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That center seat is tough to fit, I know. I just tried the Maxi-Cosi Rodifix (which we usually use third row outboard) and it worked center. It was difficult enough to buckle that I'd want a LulaBloc, BuckleBiter, or piece of pool noodle to hold the buckle up, unless an adult was sitting next to it to help buckle. It doesn't let you flip the seat next to it down for third row access... But I'm pretty sure the high back booster that will allow that doesn't exist. It is currently $249.99 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E6...1461797181&sr=sr-1&keywords=maxi+cosi+rodifix

Here's it in the second row center:

dy3bq.jpg

2zi0h14.jpg

(Seats on either side are a Boulevard ClickTight and a Baby Trend backless booster.)

Other than that you could try the Recaro Performance Booster which has LATCH, starts at 30 lbs, is in your price range and should work in the third row, but I've no idea how it will work second.

threeundertwo

Thank you! We wouldn't need to access the 3rd row if all three kids are in the middle row. So that would work great. I've been searching for info and it appears that the Kiddy Cruiserfix would also fit. Can anyone verify that? It's slightly cheaper than the Rodifix so I was just curious. But if it needs to be the Rodifix that's fine. DD would love the pink! Thank you for checking!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't have access to a Cruiserfix but I can say it would be a bit more difficult to buckle. We got this specifically for ease of buckling in the third row (which was tough enough) but in the second that will be really important. Measurements may look the same but when buckling next to another booster the lack of armrests is a huge difference...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC