View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
CPSDarren
Admin - CPS Technician

CPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
Re: New Latch Guidelines and Diono Superlatch post-latch loosening debacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas003 View Post
If Honda's engineers have stated not to use lower latch past 40 pounds, and that statement still stands, why isn't it in my manual?
That's a great question and a big part of the reason why there is so much confusion on this topic. The vague wording in many auto manufacturer's manuals and the sometimes conflicting information from the LATCH Manual (and various other organizations involved in child passenger safety) amounts to a situation that is impossible for parents and even certified technicians to understand. Further adding to the confusion is that information you receive from anyone in a particular company may not be consistent with what someone else heard from another person at the same company. For example, I understand that the main reason for Honda's 40 pound LATCH-limit was solely in response to the request by the publishers of the LATCH Manual for something to include in their reference information. Here is some history-

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=229031

As for the wording in your manual, here is the latest information I have received from Honda's regulatory department as of 8/20/12, in response to an inquiry arising from the previous thread above. The regulatory office is the group that makes sure all instructions comply with various federal standards and other legal requirements:

Quote:
As we have discussed in the past, Honda designs our vehicles to accommodate most child seats currently in the market, accounting for the weight of the child restraint seat (CRS) and the child who will be secured in the CRS.
However, Honda cannot account for changes to all CRSs each year.

As such, we defer to the CRS manufacturer's instructions for the weight limits of the lower anchors and the upper tether.

Below, I've included several excerpts from the 2012 model year Honda Pilot, where you can see several references deferring to the CRS manufacturer's instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2012pilot.gif (35.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: gif 2012pilottether.gif (50.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: gif 2012pilottether2.gif (29.0 KB, 12 views)