CA question

PeachyPie

My friend bought the CA for her 6 month old baby. He's a small boy and his head doesn't reach the head wings yet. I told her that as long as the straps come out from at or below his shoulder height then it's ok to use, but also said to keep him in his infant bucket seat if he has not outgrown it (which I'm sure he hasn't) and to switch him to the CA once he is too big for the infant seat. Are my recommendations ok?

ADS

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
This is my DS when we first got the CA. According to what I have in my comments that go with this pic, he was about 16 lbs and 27 inches., with a 10 inch torso, and around 5 months I think. I don't think he rode in the CA until closer to 10 months.

5534_225998390018_895010018_8099306_7300398_n.jpg

ETA: according to this pic, he "reclaimed" the CA at 18 months. He's still on the bottom slots.

CA.jpg

MommyShannon

I agree. The way the harness moves with the head wings, the baby's head would be between the head wings if the harness fits. They move as one unit so the distance between the harness slot and head wings is always the same. DD2 was maybe 9 months when we started using it and is still only on the second slot I think at 2 years.

PeachyPie

Interesting! Why on earth do they market this seat as fitting a 5 lb baby?! I'll let her know to check out this thread, thank you all!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Weight is only part of the equation. Our standards are weight based and not height based - the weight of a 5lb baby isn't going to make the seat fail standards in any manner.

However - if you read the manual it will say that the child needs to be at least even with the slots when the harness is at the lowest height.

Any kid who is close to outgrowing the infant seat will definitely fit the complete air. I've seen kids who are 4 months fit the seat and seen 9 month olds who need the 2nd from bottom slots. On the flip side, I've also seen kids who are 13 months and barely fit it.

If he's really that petite at 6 months then he probably doesn't fit the seat yet. She can switch to the complete air as soon as his shoulders are even with the bottom slots though - no need to max the infant seat and I wouldn't recommend maxing the height on an infant seat (so far as shell-above-head goes anyways,) unless there was a very good reason.

PeachyPie

Well I just heard more of her story... she was in an accident the other day, so the bucket seat isn't usable anymore. And she has the CA just sitting there. She'd like to start using it but it's CLEAR from pictures that her son is not big enough for it yet. She's aware she'll have to get a different seat though, and since the other guy was at fault in the accident, his insurance will have to pay for a new bucket seat.

smackeen

If the bucket would not be used that much longer anyways, why not just a convertible in place of the bucket (insurance). Maybe a truefit or something else. Unless they are planning more babies.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
There are lots of convertibles that have lower harness slots than the CA (I'm not Canadian but since I replied to the thread once it pops up for me). I probably wouldn't get another bucket unless mom really wanted it for convenience sake.

In the first pic I posted, DS is wearing a 6-9month TCP romper (3-6 was too short). It's not like he had/has a short torso.

Brianna

If insurance will only pay for a bucket, I would get the bucket, submit proof to the insurance company for reimbursement, then return the unused bucket and buy a smaller convertible seat that can be used for now, then as a spare when he grows into the CA.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
PeachyPie said:
Wondering why it's not good to max out the bucket seat though?

It's not good to max out HER bucket because it's been crashed. There's nothing wrong with maxing out a bucket in general if that's what the mom wants for convenience or whatever. As for safety, there's no difference between a bucket or a convertible PRESUMING the child fits--and there are convertibles that fit infants well. So it's really a matter of preference at this point.

mommycat

Here's another good reason not to max out a bucket, IMO.
QuassEE said:
Original (and properly formatted) version available at:
http://www.couponsurfers.com/crashtests.html

Recommendations
We strongly recommend advising parents not to exceed maximum height limits on infant-only child restraints; when a limited distance exists between the rear of the child restraint and the vehicle seat in front, even more conservative height limitations should be advised. We consistently observed ATD contact with vehicle interiors, primarily during instances of initial downward rotation. According to Transport Canada, this is “the way they are designed to work” and because they are coming into contact with a soft portion of the vehicle seat, "the risk of injury is low." [5] Most Child Passenger Safety Technicians and Children's Restraint Systems Technicians currently recommend that children continue to use their rear-facing child restraints until there is 1” of hard shell left above the child's head, unless weight limits are reached first. The 12 month ATD is, in most cases, at or near the maximum recommended height limit for the infant restraints tested, although it was observed that often at least 1” of hard shell existed above the ATD's head during testing. Despite clearly satisfying the 1” rule and being within the stated numerical maximum height limit of the tested child restraints, the ATDs frequently struck the vehicle interior during testing. It may be advantageous for parents to move children from infant-only restraints to rear-facing convertible seats even before the child meets the maximum stated height limits of the infant-only restraint, especially when limited front-back distance exists between vehicle seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC