Convince me to RF to 35 lbs.

MomtoLE

Ok I tend to agree that RF is best as long as possible. I have an almost 30 lb. almost one year old in an Evenflo Triumph currently.

I was thinking of getting a Scenera to allow him to RF for an additional 5 lbs. BUT the only thing the Scenera has that my paid for Triumph doesn't is the additional 5 lb weight to RF.

So is there documentation/research to prove that keeping DS RF for 5 more pounds is what I need to do.

I just hate to buy the Scenera when I'll only need it for 5 lbs.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just looking for statistics etc.

Thanks!

Virginia

ADS

ThreeBeans

Loads of statistics. The younger your baby is when you forward face the more likely his spinal cord could be severed in an accident. The older they get, the more mature their spinal columns become, which prevents the overstretching that leads to cord severing. :)

Your baby is WAY TOO YOUNG to even THINK about forward facing right now. A 35 lb limit seat could get you to nearly two, which would be oh-so-much-safer :D

crunchierthanthou

I'm sure someone will be along with helpful links shortly. I don't have them on this computer, but I will chime in with my opinion. You should absolutely keep a 1 yo rf for as long as possible. If it was a 30 lb 3 yo, the call would be a bit closer. However, the vertebrae in the neck just aren't sufficiently developed in a 1yo to make ff a good idea. If you have the option of keeping the child rf, you should absolutely do it.

keri1292

From... http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
"In countries like Sweden, children are often kept rear-facing much longer, even to 3 or 4 years old. Auto related injury and death rates for rear-facing children in Sweden are near zero because of this."
The near zero stat is shocking and speaks volumes for ERFing.

From... http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/qt/rear_facing.htm
According to NHTSA, a rear-facing car seat is 71 percent safer than no restraint at all, and a forward-facing car seat is 54 percent safer than no restraint at all.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868/

You tube video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

I'd def. get the Scenera for 5 extra pounds because of his age.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Scenera also has a taller shell than the Scenera, so would last longer ff'ing than the Triumph in addition to the extra 5lbs rear-facing.

Your little one is just 1yr old, even if it's only 3 months extra he gets out of the scenera, I'd pay $40 to have 3 extra months where I didn't have to worry about internal decapitation.

Weight gain will also likely slow down, so that 5lbs could buy you 6 months or more. :twocents:

Although I don't really think we need to convince you. I think you already know you should do it, just need a little extra reassurance. :thumbsup:

Erika Ruth

Let me preface this by, I AM NOT A TECH

But wouldn't a 30lbs 1 year old have a heavier head than a 20lbs 1 year old, and just as weak neck/spinal development, making it even more crucial to keep them rear facing?

MomtoLE

It'll probably only get him to 18 months since DD was 35 lbs. at 18 months and they're following the same growth curve.

DH is the more curious one as to why we need to spend $50 for a seat we'll only use for 6 months.

ThreeBeans

It'll probably only get him to 18 months since DD was 35 lbs. at 18 months and they're following the same growth curve.

DH is the more curious one as to why we need to spend $50 for a seat we'll only use for 6 months.

What if the next 6 months contains the day that you get in mid-speed accident...and everyone in the car walks away except DS who now has to spend the rest of his life in a nursing home because he was internally decapitated from being forward facing too soon? Is that worth 50 bucks? :whistle:

crunchierthanthou

Even if it does only last to 18 mos rf, it will still be useful after that. It can be used ff until 40 lbs and will make a great spare.

CRS

Senior Community Member
We can't convince you in to any decision - what you do is YOUR decision. But tell me, if you are in a severe head on at high speed within the next 6 months - what would you rather your child be, forward-facing or rear-facing?

Rear-facing being safest is banked on statistics. Statistically most accidents are frontal and side impacts. Rear-facing seats perform remarkably well in those two most common and most fatal types of crashes. Rear impacts on the other hand, occur less frequently. But when they do occur - are usually of far less severity (unless you're reversing at 60MPH!)

There really is no "magical" age when it's OK to turn a kid forward-facing - some adults can and do suffer what's commonly referred to "internal decapitation", which is when the head is literally ripped from the neck/spine, only you can't see it inside. Even this adult woman suffered from internal decapitation (no gore, don't worry) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWmJ1m3Jvhc

And just recently, this 2 year old was in a head on crash where she was internally decapitated, thankfully she survived, but many children are not as lucky http://www.stuff.co.nz/4144421a10.html experts/doctors said that had she been rear-facing, it's most likely those injuries would have been prevented. Unfortunately in my country we don't have much choice in car seats, most seats only rear-face till 26lbs. Where you are, you are fortunate enough to have seats that can rear-face till 35lbs - TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT!

Other then that there's not much I can say or do, at the end of the day the decision is up to you :) If it's money you're worrying about - I've spent hundreds of dollars to have a seat sent from Norway - just so I can continue to rear-face my 26 month old. Rear-facing is so much more safer!

Here are some links though if you want some reading :)

Video Footage:

Crash test of a Forward-Facing child
Side camera Crash test of a Rear-Facing child
Overhead view of a Rear-Facing child
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo

Additional information on rear-facing:

Why rear-facing is important
Car Safety Seats: A Guide for Families 2006
Is Your Baby Ready to Face Forward in the Car?
MSNBC: Toddlers Should Face the Rear Longer
Rear-Facing Car Seats: What You Need to Know, by Kathleen Weber
Rear-Facing Seats
Car Time - Stage 1: Safe Travel in a Rear-facing Infant Seat
Rear-Facing Car Seat Rules - Why You Should Consider Extended Rear-Facing
Child safety in cars - Literature review
SafetyBeltSafe Technical Information (Scroll down to the section on Rear-facing vs. forward-facing)
Safety For the Growing Child - Experiences From Swedish Accident Data
Danger with children - The researchers' facts about children and car security (Swedish)
Pediatric cervical spine injuries: report of 102 cases and review of the literature
How Long Should Babies Ride Facing the Back of the Car?
Why Rear-Facing is Safest
Rear-Facing - Unmatched Safety

MomtoLE

Thanks for the quick supply of info!! =) I'll definitely pass this on to DH (as well as the You Tube video, great stuff) and I'll be ordering a Scenera TONIGHT!

((Any tips where to get one (black/grey)??))

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Just make sure the Scenera is the 5 pt version... it's typically around $40. Do NOT get the over the head shield model (the one with the bar). It is NOT safe! :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Just to clarify...If you had a more "average" size child, who was, say, 30 months old, and was reaching the 30 lb limit of his triumph, although we would certainly advise that RF longer is always best, we probably wouldn't be QUITE so adamant. The fact is, your child is not even a year. That is why we are SO adamant about the need...yes, even 6 months *is* worth it, IF those 6 months are from 12-18 months!! When the spine is still so weak and the head stilll so very large...If they were from 30-36 months...well..not *quite* as important, you know?

That's more good info for DH. DH is a Evenflo junkie and hates to give up the Triumph for a "less luxiourous" seat! :whistle:
If he really doesn't want to give up having an Evenflo he could get the new evenflo triumph advance. Yes it is a bit more expensive but he would get his evenflo name...lol

MomtoLE

He's agreed to all the reasoning and I'll be checking out Walmart tomorrow to see if I can get the black and tan seat...

Thanks for the info again.

keri1292

:thumbsup: What a good daddy! They can be stubborn on ocassion. And remember, the less luxurious seat is temporary for your lil man. If you get a Regent, that thing is nicer than our recliner!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC