convertable question

melanie83103

Sorry for all the questions today.... just trying to make a decision on a seat for the babe...

How are convertables *really* for newborn babies?? Do they recline enough so that babys head is not rolling forward? My son has a convertable (he's moving out of it now), and it's hard for me to picture a newborn baby in there... it just doesnt seem like the positioning would be as good as it is in an infant seat...

Melanie

ADS

twokidstwodogs

I'm not a tech, but I bet it would depend in part on the seat and the car. I currently have a rear-facing Roundabout installed in my 06 Legacy. It holds a 17 month-old, so the 45 degree recline isn't an issue. But given the seat angle, I would have a really hard time getting that to 45 degrees by itself. The seat is currently installed in recline mode with LATCH, and it has the Versatether attached to the driver's seat leg and pulled tight. Even that way, the seat is practically upright. I don't know what difference it would make if I used a pool noodle or installed it with the seatbelt--I've never tried. I'm sure some techs can help you out, though, particularly if you tell them about your car and the convertible you would use.

Last edited:

Splash

It depends on the vehicle and the seat.
The only convertible seat that I would use from birth is a Evenflo Triumph. This is because it is more of a baseball mitt shape (or like a spoon I suppose) instead of a chair like most seats are. Also it has an awesome infant only recline that gets the recline just like an infant seat. Plus the top slots are low enough, and the infant insert is great. It's not a great seat for extended RF, but it's excellent for newborns and lasts a long time FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC