A couple of questions...

kimnlogan

I am needing a new seat as my foster son has outgrown his infant seat. Actually I need two. As much as I hate the Scenara I'm planning to buy one for my mother's car as she transports him to daycare for me. I have one now I am borrowing and it was a big pain to get it installed 'correctly' and the tech still couldn't get it entirely right in my van(ie if you push on the 'head' end the 'feet' end slips upward). First question is any brilliant ideas to fix that problem? We already have it jammed in with a pool noodle and it seems otherwise sturdy.

For my van I am looking at the graco comfortsport. It looks like it would be a comfortable seat (as opposed to the scenara). My questions are:

1) How is it to install? I have a Chrysler van with leather stow'n'go seats.

2) Is it easy to adjust the straps? (I bought a Triumph and took it back because those straps are just downright dangerous...WAY to easy to be fooled into thinking they are tight and I wasn't going to stand out in the cold and fight with then all winter!)

Not to be rude..but simply to cut down on extra typing for anyone who responds...I'm really not looking for 'alternate seats' or the suggestion of a Britax ..just want to know what you think of the graco and if you have any suggestions on the scenara's fit? Thanks!

ADS

Tara

No personal experience, but I *think* the Graco has some rather short harness slot heights. Meaning, child would outgrow by height even before the low 40# weight limit *shrug*

mominabigtruck

Maybe you could try one of those seat gripper pad things that you put under the carseat and on top of the car seat. I personally not a big fan of the comfortsport, although its not a bad seat and pretty straightforward to install. Have you looked at the evenflo titan? It's about the same price as the comfortsport and as nice but has a higher shell.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I had a graco comfortsport and liked it. DS outgrew it just after he turned two (27 months). When I used it rearfacing it wasn't the easiest to tighten the harness straps, I tended to leave them as tight as I could so it wouldn't be as hard to get tight again. It wasn't the easiest to use rearfacing and we did get frustrated with it but it did work, and when that is all you know you just live with it!
HTH

skaterbabs

Honestly for the price of the Comfort Sport you can get a much better seat. It has VERY short harness slots, a VERY short shell, the harness adjuster is nearly impossible to use when RF, only RF to 30 lbs (and is frequently outgrown by height FF by then!) and you cannot use the top slots RF at all.

Since your issues with the Scenera seems to be lack of padding, hpw about the new Safety 1st Uptown? It's basically the same seat but better padded and with EPP (energy absorbing) foam. It runs about the same price as the Comfort Sport.
As far as the installation issues you have with the Scenera, what kind of vehicle does your mother have? Is it installed with LATCH or the seatbelt? What kind of noodles are you using? Are you ONLY testing for movement at the beltpath (where the belt goes through the seat)?

kimnlogan

Since your issues with the Scenera seems to be lack of padding, hpw about the new Safety 1st Uptown? It's basically the same seat but better padded and with EPP (energy absorbing) foam. It runs about the same price as the Comfort Sport.

Actually I just think it's a cheap, crappy seat. It feels cheap, looks cheap, has no adjustments, etc.. Oh... and it REALLY ticks me off when the elastic that holds the fabric down on the sides comes loose... which is about every day. I've never heard of the Uptown before. After an internet search I can only find it at Target online? (and it's out of stock of course :p) I don't want to order online and pay more in shipping either. Is it new? Sold other places? I haven't seen it in town here but could have missed it. We have all the 'marts' and BRU and TRU in town. I'd like to see it. I'm not overly concerned with him outgrowing it as he is probably going to be going to another family in a few months (I am now pg and not up for 'Irish Twins') but if I can find a 'nicer' seat that is fairly easy to use for about $100 that's what I'd like. I'm considering a Britax for myself ...but can't afford that for a kiddo that won't be with us for more than a few more months.

As for the scenara... My mom drives a Tahoe with fabric bench seats and will use a seatbelt (no latch in the car). I haven't had a problem installing any other seats in her car and I haven't tried this one yet (leaving it where it is now that it's IN). I'm not sure what kind of noodle was used because the tech had some already cut and ready and used one of those. And the movement we are having is when pressure is applied on the 'top' of the seat pushes the feet end upso that it's laying flat on the seat. the tech said 'oh well that won't happen in an accident'... but I have a 9 year old son who reaches over every morning to give J a kiss on his way out of the car into school and tends to 'lean' on the seat. Luckily it's BETTER since the tech did it and I haven't had to redo it yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he leans on it too heavily despite my constant griping at him about it. :)

scatterbunny

I agree with what's been said about the ComfortSport. It is a PITA to adjust the straps when rear-facing. It is outgrown way too soon. It LOOKS really nice and cushy, but not a great seat except for the very petite child, and even then, if the straps are hard to tighten when RF, that's a very bad thing.

The Safety 1st Uptown looks to be a more substantial seat than the Scenera, more like an Enspira, and it looks very well padded. It should have taller top slots than the Scenera, too, if it's based on the Enspira like I think it is. I would definitely go with an Uptown before a ComfortSport.

A Safety 1st Intera might be a good choice, too. They're on sale for $99 some places right now. Without the base, it's a decent install in most cases, and it's got the tallest top slots of all the 40 pound weight limit convertibles. A couple models have minimal padding, but others have pretty nice padding.

skaterbabs

The Uptown is brand new - in fact my local Wal-Mart just started carrying them a couple of weeks ago and they're not technically "on the shelves" yet - they just have the boxes sitting off to one side.

As for the Comfort Sport, honestly, while it's one thing to not be terribly concerned about outgrowing the seat too soon, the CS is one that is particularly overpriced for the amount of use the child will get from it. Not to mention it's extremely difficult to adjust the harness rear facing. (I've actually had parents turn children FF sooner JUST because of the harness adjuster.:( )

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you're expecting (congratulations!) why not get a Britax and let your foster son use it for now, then have it for the baby? Since you're planning on getting one for the baby anyway. Or is the seat you buy now going with your foster son to his next home?

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC