configuration of 2 seats

U

Unregistered

I have 2 children-a 2.5 yr old and a 9 month old. They are both in Fisher Price Safe Embraces. One is FF, the other RF. The FF one is in the outboard postion behind the passenger seat, the RF in the center. Is this the best configuration? Also I wondered if they should both be in the outboard postions, because in a side impact crash I wonder if the FF child would in any way hit the RF child? Thank you for your help.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would switch them.

Actually, the rear-facing seat provides more protection, so that would be a better choice for the outboard seat. The center seating position offers more protection for the forward-facing seat.

There is a risk that the seats will hit each other in a side impact crash. I don't know of any data outlining risks in this situation--perhaps Darren has something. More parents are concerned about one child poking the other child :).

U

Unregistered

that's what I thought. I asked that question to the tech that checked my seats last week. SHe said they were fine as is. It just didn't seem right to me, so I wanted a second opinion.Thanks for that.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Just a few comments-

Side impacts were a focus in a few presentations at the conference. They are often severe and there is little protection from the vehicle. Intrusion and impact with the vehicle interior is a concern.

As Heather said, rear-facing seats may well provide a bit more protection in a side impact. While side impact testing is not yet required in the USA, it is obvious that some forward-facing and booster models have an advantage over others. Deep side wings for the head, torso and hips help, as would any type of added protection from foam inserts.

While backless boosters can actually perform just slightly better than high back models in a frontal crash, some high back models may have a real advantage in side impact crashes. I think we will learn a lot more about this in the near future.

Based on the comments of one presenter, a properly installed and used carseat with a 5-point harness will really help in a side impact, front or rear facing. Any spot in back is relatively safe, so it sounds like you are in good shape since you have already seen a tech!

U

Unregistered

I have been to a tech a few times. FIrst when I had my first child to check her infant seat then her rear-facing convertible. I went back recently to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious. I was so happy to be one of the few that had 2 properly installed seats. The 3 techs at the check-up place were so impressed with the installation. I can't take credit though I have 2 Safe Embrace seats and it takes no effort to secure the seats rear or forward in any vehicle I have every tried (I have had them in 12 different cars so far...and on a few planes!) Thanks for your help. I wish I wasn't so paranoid!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like your kids are very safe!

Most serious and fatal injuries are from kids who are unrestrained, improperly restrained or in the front seat.

Having correctly installed carseats in the back really reduces any risk SIGNIFICANTLY. In fact, kids in harnessed carseats in back can survive crashes that an adult in front may not survive... It's great to see you are looking at all the other issues, too, but I think you should get some comfort that you are already well beyond 90% of the public!

Given that motor vehicle crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for kids, it's great to see more parents taking a very active interest! Please feel free to visit and ask any questions you have on the subject:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC