Rear facing installation of a FPSE

reseam

Okay, I'm at a loss an I could use some help. I just spent I don't know how long trying to install our FPSE into a 2001 Ford Windstar bench middle seat(outboard behind driver). I can get it rock solid every time, it's the angle I'm concerned with. I got it once or so I thought, put DS inside for a test and it seems to be too upright, so I tried again. I have used 2 rolled up towels and one pool noodle and it still seems to be too upright. The manual says to make sure the base of the carseat is flat against the vehicle seat and if so the head shouldn't be too upright (my words not the manuals exact ones). So, how the heck do I know it's not too upright??? Is there anyway to tell easily??? Even when I put DS in there it was kind of hard to tell, his head wasn't slouching forward, but he was definatly not as reclined as he was in his FPSIV. Any thoughts, opinions, ideas, kicks in the head would be greatly appreciated!!!

Oh and one more question.....the harness strap location....DS tends to slump a bit so it was hard to tell exactly where his shoulders were. When I get him set upright his shoulders are slightly above the lowest slots, when he's slouched his shoulders are at the lowest slots. I figure you go with when he's not slouching, but if I do that then I have more trouble getting the harness really tight on his shoulders. Again any thoughts, ideas and especially kicks to the head would be appreciated!!!

ADS

Robert

CPST Instructor
The first part is hard to tell without seeing the child seat and knowing the weight and age of your child. I strongly recommend you see a technician which can be located at the "Free Carseat Inspection" link at the top.

As far as which slot to use rear facing, you want the harness straps at or below the shoulders. It sounds like using the lowest slot would be the best. The harness straps should also be snug against your childs body which can help with the slouching .

reseam

more info

For the FPSE it states that if your child's shoulders are above the lowest slots, use the middle ones. So, taking this into consideration, since when he's not slouching his shoulders are slightly above the bottom slots, then we should use the middle ones, does this sound correct to you? As for the recline of the seat, I do wish to get it checked, should I make sure my son is with me at the checkup, would that help the techs to see if the recline is right for him? (My son is 3 1/2 months, 26 inches tall (long torso) and weighs 17 lbs with his clothes on)

Thank you for your reply.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I agree with Robert-

Since your child may not sit upright all the time and is usually below the bottom slots, I would use the bottom slots for little while until he is clearly always above them.

At 3.5 months, he should have a full 45 degrees of recline. In a couple months when he has better neck strength for head support, less recline is fine. We often use a "triangle" of pool noodles attached with duct tape when we need extra recline.

Definitely bring you son with you if you have your seat checked! Good luck!

reseam

Thank you both for your replies, and especially thank you Darren for your information on the harness slots. My little guy is definatly a sloucher and having the harness in the first slot for the time being probably would be better for him.

I am actually using 2 towels and a pool noodle, wrong time of year for those things. And they are in a pyramid, and I can get a good recline, until I tighten it up, once I get it tight in there the angle tends to change. I found a message somewhere on the car seat board at parents place that suggested using a folded paper to help me visualize the adjustment I need to make to the recline and that has helped, but once again when I got it tight the angle changed, not too much off, but still not 45 degrees. I plan on trying again tomorrow and then having the seat checked. Thank you again for your time!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC