Radian seats

2005mom2008

I am new to this forum. We are thinking of having a third child and are hoping to be able to keep our Subaru Legacy Touring wagon. We currently have our oldest (3 yo) in an Eddie Bauer Alpha Omega Elite FF. Our youngest (11mo) is in a Britax Marathon RF. They are both on the outsides. As it stands we would be unable to fit a third seat in between the two seats. We are looking at getting two Sunshine Kids Radian seats (1 to replace the Alpha Omega Elite) and the other for when the third baby is ready for a convertible car seat.
I have a few questions:
1) Is the Radian seat really only 14" across at the base and not 17" as the website professes?
2) Is there a difference between the Radian 65 and the Radian 80?
3) Does anyone have any experience with fitting a Britax Marathon, a Radian and a GRaco Snugride into the back of an 07 Legacy wagon?

Thanks in advance!
Laurie

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I can answer two of your questions. :)

1. Yes, the 17" measurement is at the widest part of the carseat, which is the top. The base is considerable narrower, and I think the 14" you posted is correct. I'm sure the 17" refers to the widest point, at the shoulder-area, though.

2. The only difference between the 65 and the 80 is the weight limit and the cover selection. Most children will outgrow the Radian by height long before reaching the 80 lb. limit, and even if they didn't, they'd probably be too wide to fit comfortably in it.

BTW, the Radian XT (new version of the Radian) is coming out soon, so you'll want to check it out. :thumbsup:

Pixels

The Radian is 14" across at the base, 17" at the widest part (child's shoulder area). But measuring rarely is accurate at trying to determine if seats will fit. You really need to just try it.

The difference between the Radian65 and the 80 is the weight limit. That's it. Same dimensions, same harness height. The 80 is made out of a different steel, and is rated to a higher weight limit. But most kids outgrow the seats by height before reaching 65 pounds, so unless you grow them short and heavy, the 80 is most likely overkill. Oh the 80 does come in different covers, and comes with the infant support pillow, which is also sold separately.

Soon (end of the month?) the RadianXT will be available. Same outside dimensions as same harness heights as far as we know, but with headwings to provide more side impact protection. 80 pound weight limit.

Holly

3) Does anyone have any experience with fitting a Britax Marathon, a Radian and a GRaco Snugride into the back of an 07 Legacy wagon?

Thanks in advance!
Laurie

I don't have that same vehicle, but I do have a 2007 Toyota Camry.
I have a Radian 65 and a Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe (which is pretty much the exact same thing as a marathon, it's got the same seat shell and same dimensions, it's made by Britax and it's got a marathon cover on it right now).
I'm having my 3rd baby in a few weeks, and a few months ago I tried to get my snugride in the car with those seats and wasn't able to because the base and sides of the snugride were too wide.
I ended up giving my seat to my sister in law who just had a baby, and I got a Chicco Keyfit 22 because it's narrower than the snugride and I was able to do 3 across with it.
I'm sure a snugride could probably fit with those seats in a different car though, just not sure which ones. The setup I have now barely fits together in the car.

BW1426

An issue that you are going to run into in the legacy is getting a seat installed in the center. Subarus tend to have this issue.

You could try FF radian, RF AOE, snugride. Another option would be to purchase two radians and use one FFing, one RFing and then the snugride. When your little one outgrows the snugride than you'll have two radians to use for getting three across.

You could also get one radian and one safety first avenue and that would save you about $100. Install the FFing radian outboard, RFing radian or avenue center and then the snugride outboard.

These ideas will at least give you a starting point. You may also be able to get away with one radian and just use your AOE rearfacing, though they're pretty wide seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC