Britax Expressway

U

Unregistered

Hi,
Does anybody know if the Britax Expressway isofix is narrower than the Roundabout? I mean the outer dimensions. I can't find the seat in any stores, only on the internet. My daughter is 2 yrs 2 mos, about 26 lbs and 35". I already have a Roundabout but need a second toddler seat. I don't really have space in my car for those new huge Britax seats.
Thanks
Susann

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The base is slightly narrower, but the overall width is the same...

The base is slightly narrower, but the overall width is the same. http://www.britaxusa.com/documents/spec_sheet_dimensions.pdf I believe the Expressway uses the same shell as the Roundabout. I know the old Freeway did, and the Expressway replaced the Freeway.

Also, even though the Marathon is wider and taller than the Roundabout, it does seem to fit in my little Saturn just as well as the Roundabout did front facing. Rear facing, the length/height is an issue when you're using it for a younger infant who needs a significant recline. If the Marathon is available locally, you may want to try it out in your vehicle to see if it will work in your situation. You may be surprised!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
More information on Britax Expressway ISOFIX

I measured our Expressway ISOFIX at just over 17.5" at the armrests and head support, almost exactly the same as our older Roundabout. The base width on the Expressway ISOFIX is about 14", a bit narrower than the Roundabout like Ulrike said.

The two shells are pretty similar, though of course the base is different to accomodate the rigid LATCH system.

Also see my review-

http://www.epinions.com/content_84336086660

Good luck!

U

Unregistered

Thanks for your response. I think I'm going to get the Expressway.
Ulrike, I know that ONE big car seat fits pretty much any car, but when you have 3 in a row, things get more complicated :-(
I have a petite 6 yr old and a petite 5 yr old and one huge 2 yr old. All are going to need car seats/boosters for quite a while.
Susann

UlrikeDG

Actually, the Marathon fits in my 3 across situation next to a front facing Roundabout. The 3rd seat is a Fisher Price Stay In View infant seat, which is exceptionally narrow. However, the Marathon doesn't seem to take up any more space than the front facing Freeway did in the same set-up. The Marathon just "meshes" well with other seats. My vehicle is a Saturn, which is not exactly a large vehicle! Depending on what your other two seats are, you may find that the Marathon fits just as well as the Expressway. *IF* you want that extended harness capability, I think it's worth trying out.

U

Unregistered

Hi again,
Ok, maybe I have to try out the Marathon. I was just so into the rigid isofix. But since my 2-yr-old is so tall for her age, the Marathon might be a better choice. I have heard some complaints about the harness adjustment. I just don't quite understand, what they are complaining about. Do you know? It's some stiffness or something.
Susann

UlrikeDG

The first batch that came out (which mine was part of, unfortunately), is VERY difficult to adjust. I've been told it gets easier with use, until it's just as easy to adjust as the Roundabout. The newer batches don't have that problem. You should be able to tell if it will be an issue with the one you try out by trying it with a child in the seat. I've never had any trouble with our adjuster when the seat is empty, but put a kid in it, and it's a real PITB!

U

Unregistered

got the expressway after all

Hi again,
I decided to go for the Expressway, because after finding out that Britax is ok with straps below shoulders as long as the center of the ears are below the top of the restraint's shell, I put my 6 yr old in to compare and she still was short enough!

Anyway, the Expressway is kind of skinny compared to the Roundabout, don't know why, it's supposed to be the same shell.
What I like about it is the rigid latch. I love it. But that also makes the seat so heavy that you don't really want to drag it around on trips or so.
What's also nice is that you can recline the seat on the fly.
All together I think this was a good buy (even if the cover is the ugliest ever seen).

Susann

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC