5 lber in a ss1??

kate4478

my friend had her baby friday and he's much smaller than expected. 5 lbs 7 oz. he was down to 5 lbs 3 oz yesterday, anyone know how a 5 lber fits in the ss1??

ADS

BW1426

I know we had a poster (I cannot remember who) that got rid of their SS1 for the Snugride because it simply didn't fit the baby well. Is there any way you could lend your companion to your sister for a couple weeks until the baby gets a smidge bigger?

U

Unregistered1

Some small babies really don't fit well in the SS1. It depends on their torso height. The bottom slots on the SS1 are too high for some newborns. Can you try it out and use a different seat if it doesn't work?

kate4478

I know we had a poster (I cannot remember who) that got rid of their SS1 for the Snugride because it simply didn't fit the baby well. Is there any way you could lend your companion to your sister for a couple weeks until the baby gets a smidge bigger?

it's for a friend, but i trust her and will definetly offer it to her. thanks!

kate4478

Some small babies really don't fit well in the SS1. It depends on their torso height. The bottom slots on the SS1 are too high for some newborns. Can you try it out and use a different seat if it doesn't work?
that's what i was afraid of! the bottom slots were too high on the companion on my 4 lb 10 oz DS, but i think it will be better than the ss1. i'll ask her if she would like to use my companion for a month or so.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Carseatdata.org lists the Snugride bottom slots at 8 inches and the SS1 at 7 inches. Is this not true? I have not owned an SS1 so can't really say how it fits a tiny baby. But I am wondering if the info o n carseatdata is correct or not. If so, the SS1 would be a better fit than the Snugride.

MOM25BOYS

I went back to my SR for a little while and sold my first SS1 because it just didn't fit DS5 when he was little. He was around 5lbs 11 ounces when he came home. I definately agree with BW1426 about lending the Companion until the little one gains some weight and height. And congrats to your friend for her new addition!!:love:

Kat_Momof3

Carseatdata.org lists the Snugride bottom slots at 8 inches and the SS1 at 7 inches. Is this not true? I have not owned an SS1 so can't really say how it fits a tiny baby. But I am wondering if the info o n carseatdata is correct or not. If so, the SS1 would be a better fit than the Snugride.

I would say they are pretty equal... however, the issue some have had with smaller babies were getting the harness snug enough and the crotch buckle close enough.

That's why the snugride works better... the harness goes tighter and the crotch strap isn't as far out.

Cindy&Connor

Maybe my DNi just had a freakishly long torso but she fit fine at 5lbs 11oz. She even lost a little less than a pound and still fit okay. She looked swallowed up by the seat but the harness was right at her shoulders and it was tight enough. In fact without her in the seat you can tighten the harness until there is almost no space between the harness and the seat.

mykidsmylife

Seth was 5lbs3ozs at brith. 4lbs 13ozs when we brought him home.
Anyways at 4 weeks he was 6lbs and I put him in SS1! It was not a good fit at all. I mean the harness was at his shoulders, but the seat was so big and he just didn't fit well. I hated it.
I wasnt going to buy one for this baby due to my record of having small babies. He fit great in the Snugride.
Anyways I wouldn't use it for a baby that small, but some think that fit is okay.

steph

My cousins twins were 5 1/2 pounds when born, down some when the left the hospital and went home in SS1's. The used rolled receiving blankets on either side and a rolled receiving blanket in a upside down U around the crotch buckle (make sense) - they were told that was okay by a tech, is it still okay those techs out there???

MissAllyLou

My cousins twins were 5 1/2 pounds when born, down some when the left the hospital and went home in SS1's. The used rolled receiving blankets on either side and a rolled receiving blanket in a upside down U around the crotch buckle (make sense) - they were told that was okay by a tech, is it still okay those techs out there???

Yup, we tell them all to do this if the crotch buckle seems to high up on an infant abdomen.

threemonkeys

My son was 6lbs 4oz when he was born but lost weight and got down to 5lbs 6oz. He fit great in the SS1 but was also 21.5 in long when he was born. He has always had a long torso so that may be why he fit better than others.

Kat_Momof3

see, I, too, would be fine with using a rolled receiving blanket/washcloth to fix the crotch strap problem.

Some aren't or just still don't like the fit of the baby to the seat.

But I still would try baby in the ss1 before making a decision.

That's why I always tell people to keep their receipt if there is a chance of a small baby... cause they can always return it in favor of another seat like the keyfit, which holds small babies REALLY well.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
I brought DS#3 home in our SS1 and did NOT like the fit of the harness on him...there was just too much "stuff" in too little of an area on his chest for me. I swapped him into our SIV for the first few months until the SS1 fit him better. He was 7lb when he was born.

I'm planning on bringing this babe home in the Companion until he can fit in the SS1 since my SIV...sniffle...is...sniffle, sniffle...expired...:crying:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC