Marathon Install Questions & locking clip

Lilsid

I got my new Marathon today in Olivia I am so excited. DD was napping when it came, so I hauled it out to the car, removed the Roundabout and installed the MA.

My Daughter is 17 months 22.5 lbs and 31” tall. I have her RF in the middle seat of a VW Passat Wagon.

I have a few questions about the install though. The manual states that the seat be in the recline position to install it, ok I do this and get a great install. The problem is the seat is tilted back so far its at 45 degrees, which is ok but my DD likes to sit up more now so how do I get she seat more up right. The versa tether strap is not as tight as it could be in fact it’s kind of loose I was hoping that would help but it didn’t. Can I install the seat in the upright position instead of reclining it?

My other question is, I can’t get the locking clip on the side of the seat to close. I have it on the furthest one from the buckle. I think the belt is pulled to tight; can the seat belt be pulled to tight?

Ok my last concern is that my mom had the exact same VW same year but a different color wagon than mine and I was in an accident in hers. I had my niece’s car seat installed FF in the middle back seat (she was not in the seat at the time). We had the seat installed at the fire department so I know it was in there secure but it flipped all over the car and it was laying on its side when we all got out. The car has the belts that you feed in and they click to lock. So it did not have a locking clip. But I still remember looking in the rearview mirror and seeing the seat move all over. So I don’t trust the locking seat belts and I always use a locking clip. Is this ok or does it pose a hazard?

Thanks for reading.

ADS

LuvBug

do you think you could brace it on the front seat and make it a little more upright?
also are you locking the seatbelt as well as trying to lock the clip?

Lilsid

The car seat is in the middle and the front seats are pretty far forward, so the MA wont reach the front seats to brace. I have a locking clip installed (the paper clip looking thing), and the lock off on the MA itself wont lock because the cars seat belt is too tight with the install. I have the seat belts that lock by feeding the belt in slowly and then you hear a click and it wont come out. But in the crash in my moms VW they did come out. The belts released and the car seat flew all over the car.

I know the seat is in tight and it wont budge a bit. But I get worried about the little things.

skaterbabs

you should not use a locking clip with your belts unless it's causing the child seat to tilt, use the locking mechanism of the seat. You do not need to use the lockoffs on the MA either. Just route the belts through the open lockoffs.

I would recommend seeing a tech.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Also, even slight tipping is OK -- at least 80% of the carseat base must be in contact with the vehicle seat with less than 1" movement installed.... Tipping might be a problem for small babies with softer skulls, but not so much for big kids :) I'd see a tech, too, though just because it's always a good idea & espeically if the seat is moving around when you have the Automatic Locking Retractor seatbelts engange :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC