Boosters and tether straps or LATCH

L

Lisa

Boosters and tether straps or LATCH

Does anyone know WHY it is not recommended to use a tether or LATCH device with a booster seat? I am not real comfortable with this large seat (for my 7 year old that is 60 pounds) that falls out of the car when he jumps out to go to school, etc. Shouldn't there be SOMETHING holding to the vehicle?

ADS
C

Caviller

The reasons-

This is a topic of much interest. The only consensus right now is to follow the manufacturer's recommendations in the owners manual. Because the dynamics of using LATCH/Tether with a combination seat are not well studied, only the manufacturers have any data on crash performance. Since the seatbelt provides the restraint, LATCH/Tether use on a booster will not increase safety. Depending on the design of the seat, there could be unexpected results. For example, if LATCH is used without a tether, it is possible that during a crash the bottom of the seat would pivot down, possibly increasing the chances that the child could slip out from under the seatbelt. Again, this could vary from model to model, so there is no general recommendation.

Century does allow the use of their EZ LATCH kit with their newer combination seats when used as a belt-positioning booster. As you said, this can help the booster remain in place during loading, unloading, turns and when it is not in use.

K

Kristin

Regarding Tethers and booster seats too!

I had the same question regarding our Cosco Alpha Omega. Cosco just said you don't tether in the booster position. Well, I can see you the previous posters son was falling out of the car when the belt was released.
I'll check out the Century device mentioned. My parents are getting a replacement seat from Graco/Century due to the Consumer Reports rating on their Cherished CarGo seat, and are being sent the NextStep DX for no charge and will pick up the old seat too. They are a great company.

Kristin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC