Evenflo Triumph 5

K

KathyandGrant

Evenflo Triumph 5

I purchased an Evenflo Triumph 5 convertible car seat as it fit well in my car, an Altima. Now, I am concerned whether my son will quickly outgrow the seat.
The top of the car seat is closer to the upper shoulder straps than most other seats. The owner's manual indicates the baby's head must be no closer than 1" to the top of the car seat in the rear facing direction. It does not indicate the rule for the forward facing direction. When my baby is big enough to use the upper shoulder straps, part of his head will be above the top of the car seat. In other models of car seats, it appears the back of seat would be at least as high as the baby's head. Are car seats with full head support safer than those without full head support?

ADS
C

Caviller

Rule of thumb-

If no height limitation is listed for forward facing in the manual, then there are two rules of thumb:

1) Seat is too small when child's shoulders are above the top set of harness strap slots.

2) Seat is too small when the tops of the child's ears are above the top of the seat.

Rule #2 varies slightly from rear-facing rule, primarily since rear-facing seats are reclined and leave a child more susceptible to whiplash, should their head move beyond the top of the seat in a crash.

Many children in the top percentiles for height do outgrow seats by height before weight. Some models are a bit taller, and have higher top harness slots.

The measurements for most carseats are available in a pdf file here:

(Carseat Data website closed - link broken)

J

jerzmom

FF Height Requirements

I just purchased this seat yesterday. According to my manual, page 29, it states the following requirements for forward facing use:

Weight: 20-40 lbs.
Max. Height: No greater than 40 inches AND the top of the child's ears are at or below the child restraint seat back.

Also another note (page 30 of the manual): Do NOT use the two lower sets of harness slots for forward facing. The harness may not properly restrain the child in the event of a crash. I just called Evenflo this morning regarding this because my child is very small for his age and I have concern with the restraint being too high for him. I'm undecided but may return the seat to the store because of this issue. They told me you must follow this guideline because the reinforcement for a forward facing impact is only on the top harness slot.

I hope this helps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC