Used car seats

jrv4babies

Hello everyone,

I was always under the impression that used seat = bad...
so I was feeling bad for thinking how I could get a high qual seat for less $ if it was used...but I was also thinking how very short some of the infant carriers last and it seems somewhat wasteful if they can't be reused...

At any rate, due to one of the other posts, I have found the CPSafety website...there I see a used carseat checklist...
so do you all agree that if I can go through a checklist like that for double checking then it is more acceptable to get a used seat?

I am right now looking to purchase a new seat to give as a gift...however I was thinking of finding a good used seat as I transport children sometimes that I watch and #1 am uncertain of the quality of the seats that parents choose sometimes and #2 figured if I have my own seat for the child I could go ahead and have it tech checked and keep it installed all the time, rather than transferring back and forth with the parents.

Now that I am arming myself with so much more info, I plan to provide more of that for my families when their babies are real young (and many enroll in my care when still pregnant) so hopefully I can prevent more poor seat choices and mediocre maintenance/installation of seats thru education.

Thanks,

Jesyca

ADS

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Hi Jesyca,

With a used seat, you often have no clue if it has been in a crash. Also, with the way people are nowadays you never know if a stranger is telling you the truth regarding the seat's history. You don't know if the straps have been machine washed (which damages them), if the seat has ever been disassembled, has been stored properly, etc. Really, the only time we techs are okay with a used seat is when it has come from a trusted family member or friend. You don't happen to have any friends/family members with older kids who would be willing to sell unused seats for you to check against that checklist, do you?

At work we distribute car seats to welfare recipients. Many of these families arrive with seats that they bought used from swap meets and yard sales, and very very few of the car seats are in what we'd consider usable shape if we knew the histories. Due to storage issues at the moment, we're tearing apart the confiscated seats after the event and disposing of them properly. However, during these teardowns we find shocking errors in reassembly after washing, missing/broken pieces, mold, rust, and other unidentifiable substances on the seats.

There are some great inexpensive seats out there such as the Cosco Touriva or Scenera that would work great for a variety of kids (even infants) up until they're ready for boosters.

It sounds as though you're a day care provider, and I'm happy to see that you're being very proactive about proper car seat use. Now, by all means this is just a suggestion, but what about charging parents who do not provide an acceptable car seat an extra $5-$10 a month per child? Depending on how many children you care for, this could easily pay for some decent car seats for you to use. Then, continue doing this to cover upgrading seats if so desired, or to purchase specialty car seats for hard-to-fit children. If parents want to save the extra charge, provide them with a list of preferred seats that they can purchase on their own for their child's use. You can preface this by saying that due to the large number of problematic car seats provided by parents you want to use what you know is safe and easy for you to use.

All in all, the hitch with used seats is simply not knowing if they've been properly cared for or have been in a crash. Unfortunately this is extremely important in regards to a restraint's safety. Your best bet is going through trusted friends and family or buying new.

HTH!

jrv4babies

thanks

Thanks for your information and suggestions about this...
I don't transport children as a part of my child care business...on the days my child care is open we stay home. But I do have one child I watch outside of child care hours and I do transport him.
I can see what you are saying about whether to trust someone about truth in carseats history. and having everything correct, including reassmebly, is a worry of mine...INCLUDING when I do have my own and I disassemble it to wash myself.
I never thought I knew everything by any means, but I did think I knew quite a bit on carseat use. it has been about 5 years since I researched it much, as back then i used to teach parenting classes.
Boy have I found LOTS of information I didn't know now compared to 5 years ago.
I couldn't imagine now using ANY seat, new or used, reassembled by me or by someone else, without having all those things checked by a tech anyway...

However, I do take your suggestion seriously and will wait until someone I know has a car seat available for me to buy used from them or buy a cheaper seat.

Thanks!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I believe that used car seat checklist is for a seat you know the history and original owner of. like for when say your sister gives you a seat she used with her kids but doesn't plan on using anymore. chances are you'd know if your sister got in a car accident or if you asked her if they ever got in an accident with it she'd give you an honest answer b/c she's your sister and she's not out to make money off of it like the used seat sellers on ebay and consignment shops.

i think most parents realize the fact that infants seats are exactly that infant seats and will need to be replaced very soon. Most hang on to them until they're done having kids and use the same infant seat for all thier kids.

As for your situation, i also babysit a child i must transport. I bought a seat on clearance from walmart that is normally a 100+ seat (the alpha omega elite) for like 65 dollars. It was unopened and never used (many stores sell the floor model cheap but i'm never sure the belts and such are as safe when everyone has tried it out in the store) I have a senerca i got free for the police after an accident that is alright. I have yet to have him in mine but his mom likes hers. Its a great seat weight and height wise. There is also the discovery option for an infant seat. Its cheap also (28 dollars) but only a 3pnt and of course an infant seat that will only be useful to 20 pounds.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Dreaming_of_Speed said:
I believe that used car seat checklist is for a seat you know the history and original owner of. like for when say your sister gives you a seat she used with her kids but doesn't plan on using anymore. chances are you'd know if your sister got in a car accident or if you asked her if they ever got in an accident with it she'd give you an honest answer b/c she's your sister and she's not out to make money off of it like the used seat sellers on ebay and consignment shops.>>>

Yeah, it's more like a decision tree... if the very first thing you don't know is the seat's history, trash it.

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/usedseat.aspx

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC