please help

M

michelle

please help

Hi I am hoping that someone can give me some answers, my sister-in-law has a month old baby she has a carseat with the base that stays in the car, she thinks that if she puts the seat in the base that my niece does not need to be buckled in I just found this out and I tried to tell her that she still needs to be buckled in and I am very concerned for my nieces safety. What can I do to get her to buckle her in I have tried to tell her how dangerous it is as well as a few other people have, but she will not listen I need to take some action so that my niece is safe. If you have any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

ADS
M

MyLittleTyke

Your niece isn't the only one in danger!

How old is your niece? When you say that she isn't buckled in, do you mean completely unrestrained? Your niece should be buckled (depending on her age that could mean a car seat or a regular seat belt) not only for her safety (obvious reasons)but for the safety of the one month old baby. Any unrestrained object in the vehicle is a safety hazard. In a crash, your niece could fly into the baby and seriously injure or kill her.

Best wishes,
Sara

M

michelle

answers to questions

my niece is one month old, the base of the carseat is buckled in but my sister in law does not buckle her into the carseat

C

CPSDarren

Re: answers to questions

Rear-facing seats are a bit more forgiving than other types when it comes to the misuse of the harness system. Even so, being completely unbuckled is very dangerous. Occupants who are unrestrained and free to be ejected from their seat and/or vehicle are the ones who are most likely killed in a crash. If she has a competent pediatrician, s/he might be a good person for her to consult. You might see if your local police department has a certified child passenger safety technician on staff also.

Good luck!

Darren

U

UlrikeDG

Additionally, it's illegal!

As far as I know, all 50 states require proper child seat use for children that size/age. The holiday season is often accompanied by the "Click it or Ticket" campaign. While she could face fines at any time, right now, the odds are even greater that she'll run into problems right now.

T

Tupu

she takes better care of the car seat than her baby

Your sister-in-law buckles up the car seat but not her baby?
Did she know that driving into a wall 20 mph is like falling from the 3rd floor. And how often does she actually drive that slowly? Is she going to throw out the kid through the window on the 3rd floor when she doesn't feel like using the elevator?
I actually saw a sleeping 1-month-old fall our of the car seat head first. She just tipped over and the car seat was sitting still. My sister's daughter fell out of the car seat at 3 months when just sitting there kicking happily.
I wonder what your sister-in-law is going to do when the kid is 2 and throws a fit for not wanting to use the seat belts, if she's unable to manage with a newborn?
I hope you can talk her into better habits
Tupu

S

safeinthecar

Re: please help

try asking her what she thinks will happen if the car flips over and there are no straps holding the baby in. I,ve gotten through to a couple of people that way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC