GMC Safari and Evenflo Horizon 5

M

msswn5

GMC Safari and Evenflo Horizon 5

I have a 1992 GMC Safari and an Evenflo Horizon 5 car seat. I was able to install the seat tightly in the rear-facing position by twisting the latch (or is it buckle--the part attached to the car's seat!).

I have had a VERY difficult time trying to install it forward facing. Even twisting the buckle sometimes results in the buckle itself being pulled up into the back of the seat, creating an unacceptable bump. (The edge of the buckle sticks up and is covered only by the car seat pad.) It's almost as if I need to put something under the seat to raise it enough to keep the buckle from coming up into the seat. Is that an acceptable thing to do? If so, what should I use? I've looked on the net but haven't found anything like that.

This was the fourth seat I tried in my car--I couldn't get the others to install tightly in the rear-facing position at all.

By the way, I went to a car seat safety check yesterday and they couldn't install it any better either and had no suggestions!

I know there are lots of Safaris on the road--surely some of them have car seats in them.... help!

ADS
C

Caviller

This is a problem

The bump is not necessarily a safety hazard, but it obviously makes it a lot less comfortable. I'm not sure what other options you have in this case. Some carseats do have a seatbelt path that is not directly under the cover. This doesn't guarantee a good fit, but it might solve a comfort problem. The Britax Roundabout and Fisher Price Safe Embrace (discontinued but some still turn up at Walmart) come to mind offhand, and there are others too.

You might also try the "Compatibility" link under the top banner, and also look under the Chevy Astro as it is essentially the same vehicle.

How old and how heavy is your child?

K

kymberlee26

I had a similar problem...

...with an Evenflo Express Comfort Touch. I could not get this seat to install in an Astro of similar vintage (same vehicle). The buckle stalk was too long. I ended up being able to successfully install both a Cosco Touriva and a Fisher Price Safe Embrace. You will need to locate a seat that has an external belt path (ie, not under the seat cover but behind the shell instead) to get around the fact that even when twisted the stalk is still too long. The other problem I ran into was the buckle head hitting in the wrong spot on the edge of the seat, making for a less than solid-as-a-rock install. If you can post the age, size and weight of your child some suggestions besides the two seats I mentioned above might be made to you.

M

msswn5

Hmmm...

I can't really afford another seat at this point...I should have purchased the Fisher Price seat...looked at it...hind sight is so much better!

Nat is 15 months old, weighs around 23 pounds and is about 29 inches tall.

I'll take any suggestions you have.

What about the Fisher Price grow with me seat? I've seen several of these, supposedly brand new, on e-bay. Goes from 20 pounds, converts to booster til 80 pounds... (Not that I can afford anything at this point, my dh was out of work for 4 months [heart surgery] and our finances are at rock bottom.)

C

Caviller

One free option:

Your Horizon V should be labeled so that it can be used rear-facing to 30 pounds. If so, keep your child rear-facing until finances allow you to consider another option. Rear-facing is the safest mode of travel. See:

www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

I hope that is a possibility for you, since it sounded like you got a good fit rear-facing. Not only is it the cheapest option, but also the safest! You might get another 6 months or so before your child outgrows your carseat.

I will have to look to be sure, but I think even the Cosco Touriva might be an option for you that has a separate belt path. It is a basic model, but it is safe and can often be found on sale at Kmart for about $30.

R

Robert

Re: GMC Safari and Evenflo Horizon 5

Another thing I suggest you do, is go to the NHTSA web site and locate a Child Passenger Safety Technnician in your area who can help you. Sometimes its better to have a technician look at the problem in person

M

msswn5

Re: I found a FPSE!

I found a FPSE at a local Wal-Mart and snapped it up. It fits beautifully in my van, installed in a snap...I'm a very happy camper!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC