Is my car seat adjusted right?

F

Fubbor

Is my car seat adjusted right?

Recently my husband and I went to a car seat inspection in a shopping center. While we were there they told us that we should use the highest slot for the belt of the car seat. My question is why didn't I know that? I understand that they need to be properly installed but what I don't understand is why the car seat did not have information about needing to be on the highest slot. The car seat we are using is an Evenflo brand. Also I had always heard that you are not supposed to be able to fiit your two fingers underneath the car seat (between the child's shoulder and the belt) and when it is adjusted that way I can put my hand in. I am afraid my son is going to hurt his neck some way.

This is on a different subject. My husband has a GMC truck and the seatbelts in it are attached to the clip on both sides. It makes it impossible to put my younger sons car seat in. I have an older son who loves to go places with his dad--my question is is it safe to put a booster seat in the truck or not?

These questions are not just for me I will take the information I get to my local YMCA Family Center. Thank you!

ADS
C

Caviller

Re: Is my car seat adjusted right?

Actually, while most convertible carseats do need to use the top-slots while forward facing, there are some exceptions. The problem is that most models do not have reinforced lower slots, and in a severe frontal crash the straps can rip right through the shell. See:

www.carseat.org/Technical/brokencs.htm

So, while you are right about wanting the harness snug, and in the slots as close or just above the shoulders for front-facing, the top-slot 'rule' does take priority for many convertible carseats. This should be in the manual somewhere if it applies to your model, or the manual might specifically state that the lower slots can also be used front-facing. Can you please post the model you have for reference?

As for your truck, I don't exactly know what you mean by being attached to the clip. If it is a side-facing rear seat, then it is definitely NOT safe for a carseat, child, or even an adult. In addition, kids 12 and under are always recommended to be in the back seat, and keep in mind that a child in a booster will need a lap AND shoulder belt for safety.

If the truck has a normal bench in back, then the best advice might be to see a local carseat technician or another checkup event with the carseat and the truck. You might also be able to schedule a checkup by appointment through a local hospital, public health, police or fire department, or visit www.seatcheck.org to find a local fitting station.

If you have any more questions, please ask!

M

murphydog77

How old is your son?

And how much does he weigh? If there's so much space between the top harness slots and your son's shoulders in the car seat, it sounds like he's a good candidate to be turned back rear-facing. Some car seats have the top harness slots up so high for smaller children that it may be safer to turn them rear-facing.

Your son will fit rear-facing if he meets the following criteria: is under the rear-facing weight limit of the seat and has more than 1" of car seat above his head when he's rear-facing.

I'm sorry that I don't have any help for you either on your truck. I can't picture the way the seat belts are attached.

Heather

R

Robert

Another suggestion

Before you take any information to your YMCA I suggest you contact a local CPS technician and see if they would be willing to go to your YMCA and give a talk. That way if there are any questions you can't answer the technnician can cover it on the spot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC