FP Safe Embrace?

T

Timmsgal

FP Safe Embrace?

Hi, I have a 9-month old daughter who's currently 16lbs. She has an infant car seat that we're looking at replacing within the next few months with a convertible car seat. I've heard really good things about the FPSE. I know they're discontinued, but I can find them new on Ebay.

Do any of y'all have experience with this seat? Would you recommend it? Why or why not? Thanks!!

Christy

ADS

2boys4me

new here...

I have used a FPSE with both my boys and absolutely loved it! In my opinion, it is the best, simplest, most convenient seat there is. Its a true shame that FP quit making car seats...they had some awesome ones out there.

I gave my FPSE to my niece a few months ago because she needed a convertible seat, and since then I've gotten pg again. I just bought a new one from Big Lots for $40...if you have a BL near you, you may want to check there before you buy on eBay...that is probably where they are coming from anyway.

You will not regret getting it if you do...even if you do spend over $100 for it on eBay.

T

Timmsgal

Bummer...

I've been checking at Big Lots around me today. It never occurred to me to do that! Unfortunately, none of them seem to carry it; all they have is the Futura 20/60. Argh! Luckily, my parents have agreed to go in halvsies on one for Lauren's birthday, so we'll only end up spending $50 if we get it on Ebay.

U

UlrikeDG

Keep in mind that the seat is now 2 years old...

Carseats expire after a set amount of time (5-8 years, depending on manufacturer). While losing 2 years of use isn't such a big deal if you're getting a real bargain on the seat, if you're spending a full $100 on it, that "lost" 2 years is something you may want to factor in.

Also keep in mind that Evenflo has a new seat called the Triumph, which also has EPS foam. It sells for $119, which isn't that much more than the FPSE on eBay, and if you can find a good coupon or sale, you may be able to spend even less than that. ( www.evenflo.com/ep/on_go/...h.phtml?nf ) It also has a unique harness adjustment system that uses knobs and a "memory harness". I’ve heard that the system can take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it’s great! That avoids the problem many seats have with adjustability. The Comfort Touch version is well padded. It lacks the built in locking clips that the FPSE (and Britax Roundabout) has.

The other two seats I'd consider for under $100 are the Century Accel (which has just been re-released as the Graco ComfortSport) and the Cosco Touriva.

Century Accel/Graco ComfortSport. (www.centuryproducts.com/S...ypeID=15:cool: It is available in a DX (slightly more padding and the cover covers more of the seat) and a SE version (a little less expensive). The straps on this seat are less twisty than many others, though not quite as nice as the ones on the FPSE. The harness adjuster is also easier to use than many. The Graco ComfortSport is now available in some stores. It is almost identical to the Accel and has LATCH anchors. The Accel is now on clearance for $30 at TRU, which is a real steal, IMO.

Cosco Touriva. (www.djgusa.com/coscocat/c...riva.html) This seat is much more difficult to use and has a lot less padding than any of the seats listed above. It also has a very difficult to install and adjust tether. However, it is significantly less expensive, and if you are diligent about making sure the straps don’t get twisted and in ensuring that the harness is tight enough each and every trip, it is not an "unsafe" seat.

The seats I listed above all have a rear facing weight limit of at least 30 lb (remember, toddlers *must* stay rear facing until they weigh at *least* 20 lb and are a minimum of 1 year old, and longer is safer). They are compatible with a wide variety of vehicles, though you should always make sure a seat fits in *your* vehicle before making a final decision. They all have reasonable harness slot heights (lowish bottom slots and tallish top slots). They all have a 5 point harness, which generally provides better protection in a crash than an overhead shield does.

If you can say, "Yes," to each of the following questions, the seat may be the right one for *you*.

1-Does it fit your child?
2-Does it fit your vehicle?
3-Does it fit your budget?
4-Will you use it properly each and every time you go somewhere?

C

Caviller

Futura 20/60

Do you remember if those Futuras has the pull down overhead shield, or if they just had the 5-point harness?

Also, can you please post the price and the locations of the stores that had them?

The Futura is a nice niche seat, and people often ask where they can be found.

Thanks!

Darren

T

Timmsgal

Futura price

They were at Big Lots in the Dallas area for $39.99, I think. Since I was interested in the FPSE, I didn't ask whether they were the overhead shield or 5-pt type. Hope that helps!

Christy

T

Timmsgal

Thanks Ulrike!

I did some research on the Evenflo Triumph and I love it! I think I've decided on that one; the only thing to do before I buy it is put my daughter in it to make sure she's comfy, and try to install it in my car.

I think the three things that ended up nixing the FPSE for me: 1, it already has two years taken off its shelf life; 2, if they no longer make it it might be difficult to find replacement parts if something breaks; and 3, I finally found another car seat with the safety features I want that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'm really looking forward to using the Triumph; I've looked at the reviews (on Epinions.com and babiesrus.com) and I haven't really read a negative thing about it...thanks again!

Christy

U

UlrikeDG

Glad I could help! And, you're right about replacement parts

I know other people have had trouble, and Fisher Price is totally out of things like replacement buckles and straps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC