Convertible CARS... are they safe for kids??

A

Aimee

Convertible CARS... are they safe for kids??

My gut tells me that convertible cars are just plain dangerous for kids. I need some advise on this one though. My parents want to take the grandkids out sometimes in thier car but it is a convertible cabriolet. Isnt that unsafe???

ADS
C

CPSDarren

Some cars are not child friendly-

Convertibles, small coupes and smaller pickups tend not to be very child friendly. These types of vehicles also tend to provide less protection in crashes. Even so, it is possible for a child to ride safely in them.

First, it is never recommended that children 12 or under ride in the front seat.

Second, children should always be seated in an appropriate child restraint that is installed properly. Kids should be in a properly installed rear-facing carseat until they are over a year and over 20 pounds, preferably longer. Then they should be in a front-facing model with a 5-point harness to at least 40 pounds. Finally, kids should be in a booster with a lap AND shoulder belt until around 8 years old unless they are already 4'9" tall. The back seats of many smaller vehicles can often accomodate kids safely with some effort.

If you can't install their carseat/booster properly in back, then it may indeed be unsafe for them to ride in the vehicle. I've installed carseats in various small vehicles without a problem, but there are cases that are simply incompatible.

Please ask if you have any more questions!

Darren

U

Unregistered

Re: Convertible CARS... are they safe for kids??

Hi,
My husband wants to take my 2.5 year old out in our older (91) Jeep Wrangler. Is there any scenario that is safe???
I feel like the backseat won't support her car seat and the front seat is just plain dangerous.
Any ideas or can I officially tell him to forget it?
Thanks in advance!

skaterbabs

Re: Convertible CARS... are they safe for kids??

Unless there is something in the manual for your child's seat or the vehicle prohibiting installation, I would not have a problem with it. I'd reommend leaving the top on from a wind standpoint. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC