Two installation questions

D

DaveCS

Two installation questions

The first question involves the use of a tether. The instructions with the seat (Marathon) list two acceptable methods of instalation in rear facing mode. I attached the tether to a fixed seat mount under the front passenger seat, so the tether goes forward slightly, and down. The instructions also say that you can attach the tether to a tether mount on the rear deck, or on the back of the seat (or floor) in a mini van. Is one of these safer than the other? I can't find any test data that says anything about what each method is supposed to accomplish. I'm thinking of switching the mount because the other method (over the seat to the rear deck) "seems" like a better choice. Opinions? Web links?

The second question is about built in locking clips. Our 3 1/2 year old sits in a Freeway Plus with built in locking clips. I've never been able to get them to work. I've been using a metal locking clip next to the seat belt latch instead. They are a spring loaded affair, with little plastic "teeth" that (I suppose) are supposed to grab the belt tighter as it tries to pull through. I put the belt through them, push the safety seat down into the car seat and pull the belt through the locking clip. I then let go of the seat to help tension the system. Every time I pull on the seat, the seat belt pulls through the locking clip. Am I using these wrong?

Thanks

ADS
U

UlrikeDG

I can help with the Freeway question!

You actually have to push the Freeway lock-off down/in to lock it. Pull the belt tight, then hold it in place with one hand, while you push the clip closed with the other. Otherwise, I find that it doesn't really grip the belt very well. Some people have complained that the clip doesn't hold "slippery" belts very well. If pushing it closed doesn't help in your situation, try calling Britax's customer service. 1-888-4-BRITAX They may be able to suggest an alternative.

Also, most cars that are newer than the mid-90's (sorry, I don't remember what year the legislation went into effect), but newer cars don't need a locking clip at all. My '97 Saturn, for example, has a locking latch plate, which holds the slack out of the lap belt after I pull the belt tight. Other vehicles have lockable retracters. Try pulling the belt all the way out. As you slowly let the belt back in, you may notice that it "ratchets" and won't let you pull it out farther than that point. Check your vehicle manual for details. It's usually under "child restraints."

C

carsafety

Re: Two installation questions

There are links and a little information on Britax rear-facing tethers at our LATCH page:

www.car-safety.org/latch.html

Both are good choices- the method over the seat to the back tends to improve frontal crash performance by reducting the downward rotation of the carseat. It can be a minor hindrance when loading a child, though. The method routing under a seat in front tends to make a more solid installation and may improve performance in side impacts and rollovers. It also helps get the necessary recline for small infants.

Either way you choose is a good one. Plus, even without a rear-facing tether, rear-facing seats are extremely safe when used properly! (www.car-safety.org/rearface.html).

Any locking mechanism need only hold tight enough to prevent the carseat from loosening in day-to-day activity. Their purpose is to prevent slack from developing in the belt before a crash. During a crash, the retractor mechanism will lock the belt and secure it safely. So, it may still be acceptable even if you can loosen the system with a strong tug. On the other hand, if it gets loose with day-to-day driving then you will need an alternative.

I would also contact Britax. If your Freeway plus is older, perhaps they have newer versions of the clips they would send you or sell you. I know there have been some upgrades over time, but I don't know if this would solve your problem. As Ulrike said, your vehicle should have a locking mechanism built in already:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC