Booster for Friend

StillThankful

My friend asked me for booster recs:

I told her about the ones I see here--Britax Frontier 85 and Graco Nautilus.

Any others you would recommend?

Her daughter will be 4 in May. She is LESS than 40# and I would guess about 37".

She is definitely getting a booster in May--she has a blvd already but is planning on chucking it in May.

She drives a BMW SUV if that matters.

ADS

Jan06twinmom

What is the problem with the blvd? Why is she getting rid of it? I assume it would still fit her DD. My 6yo DD fits in the seat at 42in and 39lbs.

The Britax Frontier 85 and Graco Nautilus are combination seats. They are initially used as harness seats. When children are older/bigger, you remove the harness and they become booster seats. The Graco Nautilus converts from a high back booster to a no back booster. The Frontier stays as a high back booster.

For a just turned 4yo who is under 40lbs, the Graco Nautilus would be a good seat. Another one to look at is the Evenflo Maestro, which harnesses to 50lbs and then converts to a booster. The Maestro doesn't last long as a booster since the headrest is not adjustible, so it would need to be replaced with a booster down the road.

The Frontier is a big seat and probably more than she needs for a petite 4yo.

If your friend wants a booster seat and not a harness seat, then there are other seats to consider. The Graco Turbobooster would be at the top of my recommended list for a small booster rider. However, most 4 year old are not mature enough to sit properly in a booster seat. In general, I want children to be at least 5yo before moving to a booster seat and 6yo was my goal for my own children.

If your friend is thinking about a booster seat only, can you send her the link to the Kyle David Miller foundation? They have some great information about why the 5pt harness is a safer option for younger children.

Melanie

ajewel

Since she's so light and short, I'd go with the Maestro (about $80). It will need to be followed up with a BPB eventually (most likely the TurboBooster, about $30-50), but I'm willing to bet it'd be a couple of years, unless she hit a crazy growth spurt.

StillThankful

Thanks everyone:D. I did call her to get clarification. She is looking for a combination seat--I think she like the Graco Nautilus and will take her DD to look at one soon. I also told her about the Britax Frontier 85 and Evenflo Maestro:) :thumbsup:

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I understand her thinking. My soon to be 4y (April) will be getting a new seat soon too. I am tired of the high base of the bv.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC