1995 Ford F150 Top Tether Needed!

skittles99

Hello!

We're wanting to install a forward facing car seat in our 1995 Ford F-150, but there is nothing to attach the top tether to.

What do we need to buy? It needs to be secured into the metal frame of the cab, correct?

Google is not helping any. Thanks!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hello!

We're wanting to install a forward facing car seat in our 1995 Ford F-150, but there is nothing to attach the top tether to.

What do we need to buy? It needs to be secured into the metal frame of the cab, correct?

Most Ford vehicles from the 1990s, including many trucks, did have retrofit tethers available through Ford program R7C. I do not have any idea if you could even find the parts today, but possibly on eBay or a stray dealer inventory. This likely means there is a factory installation point and possibly you could locate it with some help from a dealer or possibly a technical service bulletin.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you have an F150 SuperCab (any type), the part number you want is F85B 15613D74-AB.
You can see if they can still get it. If not, Ford recommends using a generic tether anchor supplied by a car seat manufacturer.

If you have side facing back seats, you may only use the front seat. The tether anchor for the front center seat will be attached to a weld nut in the back wall. For the front passenger seat, you actually tether to the seatbelt for the side-facing seat directly behind. (If this is what you have let me know and I'll provide instructions on how to do this.)

If you have a forward facing back seat, there are 3 weld nuts on the back wall to install anchors to.
The front passenger seat may also be used with the seat tethered to the CENTER belt (not outboard) in the row behind. Again, ask if you need help.

skittles99

If you have an F150 SuperCab (any type), the part number you want is F85B 15613D74-AB.
You can see if they can still get it. If not, Ford recommends using a generic tether anchor supplied by a car seat manufacturer.

If you have side facing back seats, you may only use the front seat. The tether anchor for the front center seat will be attached to a weld nut in the back wall. For the front passenger seat, you actually tether to the seatbelt for the side-facing seat directly behind. (If this is what you have let me know and I'll provide instructions on how to do this.)

If you have a forward facing back seat, there are 3 weld nuts on the back wall to install anchors to.
The front passenger seat may also be used with the seat tethered to the CENTER belt (not outboard) in the row behind. Again, ask if you need help.
Thank you!

It’s a single cab, unfortunately.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I only see Super Cab listed in the LATCH Manual. You can check your vehicle manual if you have it for installation points. The part number should be the same if you have bolts.

S

Susan0522

Thank you so much for this information! I have been calling and googling trying to figure out how we can carry kids in my husbands 95 F150. The dealership wouldn’t help, but finally found a place that would install if I found the part and now I have the part number! Seriously, thank you!

Dustin1986

Thank you so much for this information! I have been calling and googling trying to figure out how we can carry kids in my husbands 95 F150. The dealership wouldn’t help, but finally found a place that would install if I found the part and now I have the part number! Seriously, thank you!
My name is Dustin. I am in the process of trying to add tether anchor brackets in my 1995 ford f 350 crew cab. If ford rejects doing it and honoring the r7c program related to this , could you please tell me who else you had this done with or where you took it to get it done.
Thank you very much.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi, it's unlikely you will get a reply from the previous poster, but any mechanic or body shop should be able to do the install if you can get the part.

F

Fair&squareTCounty

Hello!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't think there is much information other than what is posted above. It apparently varies by F-series model and cab. Some vehicles had the information for parts and anchor locations in the owner's manual. A Ford dealer could probably get you the relevant answer if they were willing to do the research. Failing that, you'd have to get lucky with someone at Ford corporate customer service who is willing to look into this for your specific model and trim level. Even if there is an appropriate part and location to attach it, finding the part may also be difficult.

S

Susan0522

Hi, I’m back. I was able to locate the part, but just had my kid rear facing until now. The instructions that came with the part are for 1997-2000, and unfortunately the holes I’m looking for based on the instructions are not there. I have tried my local Ford dealer multiple times and have always been dismissed. I saw you suggested calling corporate. Do you have any info on a way to do that without spending hours on hold before finding the right person to talk to? I really really would like to make this work for all my kids to ride in, and my youngest is quickly outgrowing rear facing.

S

Susan0522

Attempting to upload pictures of the instructions in case anyone else stumbles across this thread and would find it helpful.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If the holes are not pre-drilled, there should be dimples; check your vehicle manual for information on where. However the LATCH Manual indicates that there should be weld nuts already in pre-drilled holes. I would suggest checking yourself, with your manual, if the dealership was unable to find them.
Since you were able to get the official part, ask your dealership to refer to program code R7C. They are required to install it for you.

If that doesn't do it, call Ford corporate and tell them that their dealership is refusing to honor program R7C despite you having obtained the part needed. Keep escalating until you get to someone who can help you. Unfortunately that's the only way to do it. The program code may be a shortcut, though, compared to saying "tether anchor." They may also be able to assist in finding the correct location for installation if you don't have the manual.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC